[Peace-discuss] On the ground in Haiti

Morton K. Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Mon Jan 9 11:43:06 CST 2006

Written by Canadians--

ZNet | Haiti

Bel Air
Betrayed by the UN

by Leslie Bagg and Aaron Lakoff; January 08, 2006
  Our second day in Haiti brought us to the slum of Bel Air, an area
extremely different than other areas of Port au Prince. Not far from
the glistening Palais Nationale, Bel Air is a poor neighborhood which
has been hit hard since the February 2004 coup. It's own residents
describe a campaign of political .cleansing" happening here. Bel Air
has been the site of several massacres. On June 4 2005, CIVPOL
(UN .Civilian. Police . now known as UNPOL) forces killed 14 people.
On February 25 2005 14 people were killed by police as Brazilian UN
soldiers looked on. Our brief visit today gave us a good idea of the
impact that this cleansing has on people's daily lives.

UN Brazilian MINUSTA (Mission Nations Unies de Stabilization en
Haiti) forces are omnipresent here, sitting at checkpoints behind
roadblocks on the street and patrolling around. Directly adjacent to
one of the checkpoints sits one of the taller buildings of the area -
a building which has been occupied by MINUSTAH. Military camouflage
netting is draped from the windows, and soldiers peer down at the
street.

As we walk by and snap photos, one soldier comes running out of a
building. He stops us and demands to see our press passes. American
independent journalist Kevin Pina explains that this is the first
time they have done this. Their efforts to control the press seem to
have gone up a notch. As the soldiers write down our names it becomes
clear that they don't want journalists roaming freely here. They
invite us on a press tour in Fort National, another area of Port au
Prince. Journalists who go on these tours are escorted around by
armed guards, speak to the people the UN want them to speak to and
see what they want them to see. We decline.

Perhaps the MINUSTA have good reason to be nervous for the world to
see what they have been doing in places like Bel Air. Later in our
visit, we have a chance to meet with Robert Montinard, the
coordinator of a group called Zakat Enfant. He explains to us that
his group has been a bridge between the UN and the community.
Unfortunately it is a bridge that is quickly burning.

After a meeting between community leaders and UN officials to discuss
human rights abuses in the community, Zakat Enfant signed a contract
with the UN to help them implement their program - DDR: Disarmament,
Demobilization, and Reinsertion. The deal was that youth in the
neighborhood would give up their arms, and in return they would not
be arrested or harassed (unless they do something else wrong) and the
UN would provide badly needed social programs. Bel Air is a
neighborhood where many children can go up to 3 days without food and
do not have a chance to go to school or have access to health care.
It sounds nice, except there's one problem . the UN isn't holding up
their part of the deal.

Since the beginning of the program, dozens of people have given up
their guns, but all they've gotten in return is a passcard with their
picture on it, part of the UN's program of social control. Eloi, for
example, is a local kid we met who traded in his gun under DDR. In
return, all he got was his plastic UN photo id which will
theoretically allow him to get through the UN checkpoints unbothered.

2 people who returned their arms have already been arrested and the
promised social programs have yet to appear. As Robert says,
"Christmas passed without even one candy for the kids".

Now Robert is between a rock and a hard place. On the one side UN
officials are pushing him to continue with the program, on the other
side, the increasingly frustrated community sees Robert and Zakat
Enfant as traitors and are taking out their anger on them. Robert
tells us he cannot walk around freely in his own community anymore.
And what of his group, Zakat Enfant? The organization was supposed to
help kids traumatized by war, and give them workshops in non-
violence, but they have been sold-out by the UN and rendered useless.

Others are very clear about who's to blame for Haiti's current
troubles. Samba Boukman, the local spokesperson for Lavalas, is frank
with us. He blames the US, France, and Canada for the crisis in
Haiti. He wonders why Canada is working against the Haitian people,
but he has his theory - Canadian companies are doing business with
the elite "civil society" group 184. It would seem that democracy in
Haiti is not in their best interests. Canada is lending its complete
support to MINUSTA, and MINUSTA has turned Bel Air into a veritable
occupied zone. As Robert had explained before, "If we're in prison,
if we're poor, if we're dying, it's France, USA and Canada. It's not
the military's fault. They know nothing. They're just there following
orders. It's the diplomats, the ambassadors, the politicians who are
doing this".

We have arrived in Haiti in a chaotic and uncertain time. We were
expecting to be here days before the presidential elections,
scheduled for January 8th, but now postponed indefinitely for the
fourth time. The elections are laughable, especially in the way they
are being framed by the authorities. Today, the UN security council
called an urgent session to debate the continuing postponements of
Haiti's elections. The Conseil Electoral Provisoire (CEP), funded by
USAID and CIDA, have put the blame on the UN and OAS, who have been
quick to shift it back to them. All sides deny their complicity in
this royal failure.

As the big shots play hot potato, the reaction on the streets is
quite different. No one is surprised, although tensions are high.
Haitians know quite well that they are being asked to participate in
"selections" rather than elections. Samba Boukman says he is
registered to vote anyway. He explains the Lavalas position is that
true elections can not proceed unless the thousands of political
prisoners being held in Haiti are released, the repression of people
in poor neighborhoods comes to an end, disarmament is complete and
political exiles are allowed to return to the country. All of these
issues are completely lacking from the Canadian discourse. In fact,
Paul Martin has denied there are any political prisoners in Haiti,
and Canada just wants to push forth with any elections, come hell or
high water. Although Boukman is not optimistic that his demands will
be met, he sees elections as the only way the people can move forward
peacefully.

As we leave Bel Air, we see graffiti on the side of a building that
translates roughly as "expensive life + social exclusion = civil
war". As Robert Montinard explains, the violence that has plagued Bel
Air is violence that is borne of misery and poverty. It's a cycle
that won't be broken by treachery and unkept promises from the UN,
the US, France and Canada.

(Leslie Bagg and Aaron Lakoff are two activists and independent
journalists from Montreal. They will be filing written and audio
reports from Haiti throughout the month of January, specifically
focusing on the role of Canada in the country's current crisis. They
can be reached at montrealtohaiti at resist.ca)