[Peace-discuss] Fwd: [sftalk] The AFL-CIO's foreign policy program

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 11 16:52:39 CST 2006

Hi Mort-

Great.  I think it's good that we're discussing Haiti
more, starting to discover some of the complexities,
the more difficult questions we have to sift through.
But we can't take this at face value.  These two guys
- Sprague and Pina - have been have been on a crusade
to spread a very black-and-white picture of what's
going on in Haiti (Aristide vs. the world), and in the
process glossed over, or lied about, some
uncomfortable details.

For example:
1. It is definitely untrue that "[m]embers of Batay
[Ouvriye] are not under fire in their communities nor
the objects of this campaign of repression," as they
repeatedly claim.  "Rebel" troops physically attacked
a Batay-affiliated union in Ouanaminthe just two days
after the coup in 2004 at the behest of plant managers
there.  Similar attacks have continued around the
country since then, recently including the attack I
mentioned at one AWARE meeting in which Jordanian
troops under the UN flag attacked a group of factory
workers and beat them severely, and so on.  I can't
believe that Pina at least does not know of these
attacks, but Sprague may not.

2. It is also not true that Batay Ouvriye "has failed
to stand up and   organize against the massacres being
carried out by the Haitian  National Police and the
United Nations MINUSTAH force."  Here is just the
latest statement from Batay on the topic:

"During the end of 2005, particularly during these
last two weeks, while the politicians thrashed about
in their tenuous electoral process and the
imperialists daily reinforced their stronghold on this
process as well as the national situation generally,
repression and terror continued with ever more force.
This state of affairs had already reached a climax in
November in the Pelé neighbourhood, when MINUSTAH
soldiers literally machine-gunned the population.
Presently, even more and with greater intensity, this
climate is spreading throughout the country,
particularly in Port-au-Prince.
[...] We, of Batay Ouvriye, denounce these crimes in
this specific context, since for us, at the end of the
day: it is the masses that endure its consequences."

3. Sprague wrote essentially this same article a
couple months ago, and here repeats the convenient
assumption that money from the AFL-CIO (originating at
NED) - which Batay apparently did take - had any
effect on their position with regard to Aristide.  In
fact they have been denouncing him since at least
2001, when members of Aristide's own party marched
angrily thru the streets denouncing a series of
"about-face" moves: including Duvalierists from the
1991-94 coup as well as the 1857-86 dictatorships in
the cabinet, shielding Aristide's indicted commerce
minister Stanley Theard from prosecution for swindling
millions from the treasury under Duvalier, shielding
another official from prosecution on charges of
murdering journalist Jean Dominique, etc. -- which
events Sprague and Pina have yet to mention to my
knowledge.  Personally, I am sorry Batay Ouvriye took
the money, but I can't see what difference it made in
terms of Aristide.

4.  Perhaps most importantly, Sprague and Pina both
continually ignore the crimes being committed by
pro-Aristide people, and the repression committed by
Aristide's government during 2001-2004.  These include
shootings, kidnappings and attacks on grassroots
activists not perceived as loyal to their cause.  It
is true that these are far outweighed by the crimes of
the coup government and its allies as Batay Ouvriye
and their supporters have pointed out.  But this does
not bring back the dead or heal the injuries they have
inflicted.  It is also a far more serious matter than
the disloyalty that they're accused of.

There's more to say on this, but I'll stop for now.
Maybe I'll post separately Batay Ouvriye's "year in
review" statement - not because it helps clarify the
other side of this attack (though it does) but because
I think it's a fairly sober analysis of what's up in
Haiti.  Anyway, you can see what you think.

See you all soon-
Ricky

--- "Morton K. Brussel" <brussel4 at insightbb.com>