[Peace-discuss] AWARE Agenda Minutes- Jan. 15, 2006

jandurl jandurl at insightbb.com
Sun Jan 15 21:41:07 CST 2006

Minutes in brief:
JAN Kruse

Subject:  AWARE Agenda Minutes- Jan. 15, 2006

> 1. News of the Week (Carl Estabrook will be absent)
In place of Carl's News we had a presentation from Ryan from Madison about the time he has recently spent in the 7th ward in New Orleans with grassroots community organizer Mama Dee.  Mama Dee is accepting donations for direct assistance to those in the area working to rebuild and remain in their neighborhood. Ryan had pictures to show us of the 7th and the 9th Wards and the Hurricane Katrina devastation that is still making life difficult for those remaining in the city. Well over 50% of the homeowners still have no electricity in most neighborhoods outside the downtown and French Quarter of the city.

Send Donations or for more information:
Mama Dee
1733 N. Dorgenois Street
New Orleans, La. 70119
phone # 504-723-7738

> 2. Introductions (5 minutes)
> about 20 people present.  Including 3 students and a Champaign County Board member.

> 3. New Ideas: (15 minutes)
Brian D. and Bob I. will be starting a new working group regarding Anti-Racism efforts in hopes that AWARE will be able to work with other organizations and individuals on racism issues in the local community.  Sign up sheet passed around for joining this group.

  4. Working Groups: (30 minutes)

Finances:  No Report....Probably about the same amount as usual??
We think a check has been sent to pay for the full page ad in the Martin Luther King Celebration brochure.  Brochure was passed around for all to see our page and other event sponsors.
Flyers were run off for Martin Luther King Week events at Notes and Quotes.
(Seek Linda E.'s input regarding no record of AWARE having an account at Notes and Quotes in their files.  They might have lost the information.  They gave Kruse's another form to fill out to set up charge account for AWARE.)

 Main Event: Next monthly protest will be on Saturday February 4 from 2-4 at 1 Main in Champaign.

 AWARE Presents:Working group is planning with various U of I professors and groups to co-sponsor the visit to the community by Anthony Shadid (Pulitzer Prize winning author and journalist) in March.  Ongoing work and organization for this event is taking place.

 Church Presence:Members of this group met with three ministers from the Vineyard this past Thursday January 12.  This group will contact Mr. Vern Fein and plan to hold another working group meeting.  A continued Church Presence at various local churches will continue on a monthly basis after the working group meets to plan future locations. Meeting date time and location TBA.

 Urbana City Council Resolution: Working group will meet to continue planning for the February Town Hall meeting set for February 21 in Urbana.  Working group will meet at 7:00 PM at Kruse home 2007 S. George Huff Drive on Monday January 23.   Meetings with the mayor and all but one city council member (Heather Stevenson) have already taken place or will take place. Consider joining this group and assisting with the many task remaining.
Meet 1/23/06 @ 7:00 PM

 Iraq Pack: Ongoing work. Hope to find a reliable organization to offer people interested a way to assist with the ongoing need for food and daily supplies in Iraq.  Flyer will be available for the town hall meeting containing information for the public to make donations and offer monetary assistance for families in Iraq.

 Counter-recruitment: AWARE requested information from area High Schools is gradually arriving in the mail regarding the time and number of military recruiting events held in public high schools.  This working group needs to organize a meeting hopefully before January 31 so that Susan Levy from Madison might join us.  Working group meeting TBA.

> 5. Last Week's Events: Martin Luther King event at Holiday Inn 1/13 was well attended by the public.  A good poster available free for the public with King's Anti War Quotes.  However, speakers did not make the connection.  Some UFPJ/AWARE Flyers were placed on table.

 6. Upcoming Events: More King events to come:
1/16 Prayer breakfast at the Vineyard.(8:30-10:30 AM)
1/18 Sister in Cinema 101 The Armory Champaign 7:30 PM
1/18 Film Memphis Sanitation Workers St.Pats Church Urbana
1/19 Tuskegee Airman Foellinger Auditorium Urbana 7:00 PM
1/21 Krannert Lobby Performances and program 2:00-5:00 PM
1/26 Marc Morial former mayor of New Orleans Smith Hall Urbana 7:00 PM