[Peace-discuss] Haiti

Morton K. Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Tue Jan 17 19:54:16 CST 2006

There's an interesting exchange of letters involving Marc Weisbrot in
The Nation [Jan 30 or Jan 16] about Aristide and his "progressive"
opposition.

What Batay Ouvriye seems to have done differently was to oppose
Aristide, when the U.S. administration wanted to get rid of him. They
put their funds in opposition hands.

And the fact that Aristide accepted U.S. help is not quite equivalent
to the help Batay Ouvriye received. Yes, this too compromised
Aristide, but in essence he had to accept the money in order to try
to govern.

Weisbrot says that the accusations against Aristide himself, which
you repeat, are mostly hearsay, and not affirmed by evidence.

I don't know the facts of these matters, but I distrust any group
that accepts U.S. dollars against a legitimate adminstration the U.S.
doesn't like.

--Mort