[Peace-discuss] Impeachment

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun Jan 22 13:34:04 CST 2006

Rossie's argument, such as it is, depends on the line
Bush-is-stupid-and-so-not-really-in-charge.  That's primarily
Democratic party elitism -- a misperception, and not an
innocent one.  Administration policy is always formed by a
group, and we're stuck with the archaic mechanism of
impeachment to check the executive.  But just because it's
old-fashioned (a more modern government would fall) doesn't
mean we shouldn't use it.

An impeachment campaign should target both Bush and Cheney and
perhaps other senior officials responsible for these crimes.
A successful campaign would mean that President Hastert would
come to office at least a bit abashed at what had happened to
his predecessors.  Even an unsuccessful campaign (much more
likely) is an occasion to make American aware of the crimes
of the administration.  --CGE