[Peace-discuss] This is an outrage

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 24 00:13:37 CST 2006

[At the same time, here's what is considered to require jail
time.  --CGE]

  War Protester Sentenced for Trespassing

BINGHAMTON, N.Y. (AP) - A peace activist was sentenced Monday
to six months in prison for splattering his own blood at a
military recruiting station to protest the then-looming war in
Iraq.

Daniel Burns was the first of four activists to be sentenced
this week for splattering their blood onto the windows, walls,
pictures and an American flag at the Army and Marine Corps
recruiting station on March 17, 2003.

The so-called Saint Patrick's Four were convicted for damaging
government property and entering a military recruiting station
for unlawful purposes.

U.S. District Judge Thomas McAvoy said he wasn't punishing
Burns for protesting, but for how he protested and what he did.

"The court doesn't question your motivation," he said. "I know
you didn't go there with evil purpose in mind. You went in
good conscience. But what you did clearly violated the law."

Burns, 45, was fined $250 for contempt and ordered to share
payment of $958 in restitution for cleaning up the damage at
the recruiting station near Ithaca.

The four were acquitted of the most serious charge -
conspiracy to impede an officer of the United States, which
carried a maximum sentence of six years in prison.