[Peace-discuss] Population control

jamie storm gary_jamie at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 25 12:46:05 CST 2006

Let me try to provide some perspective on what I understand to be
Katherine’s views on population control.  Katherine is a friend from my high
school days here in Urbana where I came to know her best through our mutual
participation in Liberal Religious Youth (LRY) at the Unitarian Church.  I
view her as a thoughtful, morally conscientious person who, not believing in
an afterlife, is committed to getting the most from her brief existence here
on Earth.

In her early college years, Katherine developed an initial interest in
population control from concerns related to “ecological balance”, “poverty”
and, more indirectly, “violence and war” stemming from competition for
scarce resources.  She saw all of these problems being exacerbated by
rampant population growth, and became involved with a project on campus
relating to “zero population growth” (ZPG) as a way of addressing them.

This initial interest, however, took on more personal significance when she
confronted issues in her personal life.  In her early twenties, Katherine
traveled to Greece, married a Greek man, took up residence in a small Greek
village, and tried to carve out a life for herself as a self-taught
watercolor artist.  Living on a very limited income, when she and her
husband had a child, she decided to have herself sterilized.  She did so
very consciously, I think, to cope with her limited financial/material means
and to provide the best possible quality of life for herself and her family.
While she divorced later in life, she was able to support herself in Greece
and to help insure that her son received an education.

It is my sense that Katherine believes she made the right decision in having
herself sterilized and not having to spread her energy and resources to more
than one child.  Her advocacy of population control is based several
grounds.  What she wants to do is “share her story” with others and
encourage them to think seriously, as she has, about choices they make
relative to marriage, child bearing, and child rearing.  While she would
probably recommend that all women who decide to have children limit them
selves to one child in the interest of ZPG, she would strongly recommend
that women with limited financial resources do so, not just in the interest
of ZPG, but to maximize the quality of their own lives as well as the lives
of their children.  I think she is aware that there are many ways to address
poverty through social policy and social action (and would encourage people
do so), but she also recognizes that social change is often slow and that
individuals can deal with poverty in their own lives by proactively
“choosing”, among other things, to limit the number of children they bring
into the world.

With this said, let me close and encourage you to explore the topic further
with Katherine herself, especially since she is not participating in this
email exchange. I am sure that her views on population control will continue
to evolve if she forms new relationships through AWARE, especially if she is
treated as respectfully as she was by those of you present last Sunday
night!  Thanks for treating an old friend this way.  Gary Storm