[Peace-discuss] City Council Resolution

jandurl jandurl at insightbb.com
Mon Jan 30 10:19:44 CST 2006

AWARE is working to bring a resolution before the Urbana City Council to end the war and occupation of Iraq.
Mr. Al-Heeti (local Iraqi/American whose brother was kidnapped and murdered in Iraq a few months ago) has requested our efforts and other community groups have joined this project. Most of the members of the Urbana City council have met with our working group to discuss the resolution and a majority feel this is a resolution they would favorably consider. Ward 7 council member Lynne Barnes finally agreed to meet with a group of Ward 7 constituents, but is reluctant to consider such a city council resolution. Our efforts to share the local impact on our community was met with little if any acknowledgement on her part. Heather Stevenson (Ward 6...daughter of Tim Johnson) has refused to even meet with us to discuss this resolution and says she would never support such a resolution. Our hope is to have a resolution by March 20,2006  (3rd anniversary of U.S. war on Iraq) to forward to our U.S. congressional representatives: Durbin, Obama, Johnson.

If you would like to express your support for this resolution to either of these two Urbana city council members please email them with a message asking for their positive endorsement of an Urbana City council resolution to end the US lead war and occupation of Iraq. Even if you do not live in Urbana or Wards 6 or 7 it is helpful for these city council members to receive input from progressive voices that they probably never have an opportunity to hear. Email them at:

Lynne Barnes: lynnecbarnes at hotmail.com or lcbarnes at city.urbana.il.us

Heather Stevenson: hdstevenson at city.urbana.il.us

A Town Hall meeting to discuss such a resolution will be held on 2/21/06 at the Urbana City Hall Council Chambers at 7:00 PM.

The Public is invited to attend.

Please help our community inform our leaders of the local impact of this US foreign policy that has negatively effected our local community and devastated the citizens of Iraq. To read the full resolution wording email jandurl at insightbb.com