[Peace-discuss] Patrick trial

Morton K. Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Fri Jul 7 17:23:13 CDT 2006

In view of the incompleteness and ineptness of what I witnessed by
the defense counsel at the trial, I am disheartened, but not amazed
by the guilty verdict . I would never have agreed to such a verdict.
However, the jury was left with the impression of a tearful poor
white woman saying she was assaulted by Patrick Thompson; why would
she claim such a thing if it were not true? No other possible
motivations for her accusations were presented by the defense,
although I understand that some could well have been given.  The list
of defense witnesses was incomplete. Patrick was not called in his
own defense (although I can possibly understand the reasons; he does
not talk well.). Inconsistencies in the accuser's story were not
followed up. It was a lousy performance by the defense counsel, who
seemed unprepared for his task.

If Patrick is innocent, as he well could be, then this is a tragic
event. One can only imagine that the defense counsel could not
imagine that a guilty verdict could be rendered "without a scintilla
of doubt", and he relied too heavily on this notion.

As for racism playing a role, what Bob says may be true, but one
would have to hear what the jury members were saying and thought in
order to come to this conclusion. It does smell of it. There was one
African American on the jury, but I' don't know if he was active.

I did not hear the final summations, and would like to know what
Defense Counsel said.

--mkb