[Peace-discuss] Trial details

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 13:52:30 CDT 2006

At 05:20 PM 7/7/2006, C. G. Estabrook wrote:

>Enough unhappiness for an appeal on ineffective assistance of counsel? I
>gather that they're not often successful.

Not often, no.  Appellate courts have set pretty low standards for what
constitutes "adequate" performance by an attorney, even in criminal
trials.  But that's pretty much the only basis for an appeal, unless it can
be shown that Patrick's Constitutional rights were violated in some
fundamental way.  Obviously Harvey Welch wouldn't be the attorney doing the
appeal.

Criminal trials are won and lost at the trial court level, rarely at the
appellate level.  That's why trial preparation, and the selection of a
proper attorney to begin with, are so important.

John Wason