[Peace-discuss] Thompson's accuser

Wendy Edwards wedwards at uiuc.edu
Sat Jul 8 23:50:00 CDT 2006

Many of us have been greatly concerned about the Patrick Thompson trial.
There have been valid questions about the accusations, and it's quite
possible that Patrick was convicted unfairly.  There have also been
legitimate questions raised about the motives and credibility of the
accuser.

However, a number of people are also concerned about the IMC's decision
to publicize the name of the alleged victim.  They've made some valid
points.  Even if Thompson's accuser was lying, this kind of action could
still have a chilling effect on other sexual assault victims.  Reporting
the attack and pressing charges would be extremely difficult; perhaps
the idea of their name on a high traffic website could make it
unthinkable.

This also has the potential to alienate many members of the
Champaign-Urbana community.  From the perspective of Thompson's
supporters, the alleged victim is a serial accuser who may be sending an
innocent man to prison.  From the public's perspective, IMC members are
bullying a rape victim.

If nobody objects, I would like to edit the entries on the website so
that the accuser's name is removed.  I'd also respectfully suggest that
the IMC avoid publishing personal information about the accuser, because
it's likely to backfire.

Thanks,
Wendy Edwards