[Peace-discuss] Sellingout their party and the democratic principles...

Chuck Minne mincam2 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 9 14:45:40 CDT 2006

Salazar Gives Middle Finger to Dem Voters; What Other Dem Senators Will, Too?

By David Sirota
July 5, 2006
WorkingforChange.com
http://tinyurl.com/mgqct

In an explosive story, the Rocky Mountain News reports that freshman Sen. Ken
Salazar (D-CO) has become the first Democrat to publicly say he will ignore the will of
Connecticut Democratic primary voters and support Sen. Joe Lieberman even if Lieberman
loses the primary, leaves the Democratic Party and runs as an independent. Before
this, only Sens. Chuck Schumer and Chris Dodd indicated they might do this - now we
have a Democratic U.S. Senator officially on record saying he will use his power to
thwart both the Democratic Party and the small "d" democratic process, undermining his
party and giving a big middle finger to voters.

As I told the Rocky Mountain News reporter, This behavior really lays bare what's
going on: Democratic candidates are more than happy to use the democratic process to
obtain elected office, but once they are in, many of them show an open disdain for
that same democratic process. They are so focused on protecting their own, preserving
the Senate club, and preventing the public from weilding power they are willing to
sell out their party and the democratic principles this country was founded on. It
is, in a word, disgusting.

Matt Stoller at MyDD has a very simple question in light of the Salazar
announcement: what other Democratic U.S. Senators will support Lieberman if Lieberman loses the
primary? The question is not what Senators will support Lieberman in his primary -
incumbents tend to support incumbents. The question, again, is what other Democrats
will support Lieberman if he loses the primary? Will, for instance, Barack Obama
support Lieberman if he loses the primary? It was Obama, after all, who specifically
timed his primary endorsement of Lieberman to try to crush Lamont's entire candidacy?
What about other Democrats? Which of them will join Salazar in giving the big middle
finger to voters and to the Democratic Party?

It's time we get an answer to that - so go ahead, contact your Democratic U.S.
Senators and ask them what their position is.

  Current Terror Alert Level

FOX Reporter interviewing Jesus: Jesus, who would you bomb?
Jesus: Nobody, my son, nobody.
FOX: Aw, come on; say you have to bomb somebody.
Jesus: Well, if I have to, I’ll zero in on the White House.
FOX: Forget I asked.