[Peace-discuss] Police Review Board before Urb. Cty Council TONIGHT!

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 16:06:55 CDT 2006

At 11:53 AM 7/10/2006, Brian Dolinar wrote:

>Hello all.
>
>Please help us show the public support for a Police Review Board in Urbana.
>The issue is going before the Urbana City Council tonight at 7pm.
>They meet at 400 S. Vine St., across from Lincoln Square.
>
>We have been working for 2 years to get this board.
>We insist that it be an independent board with power to subpoena.
>The Police Union is trying to undermine the independence of the board
>by placing a police officer on it.
>
>The police cannot police the police.
>
>For instance, why did Officer Hediger of the Urbana Police Dept. fail
>to collect any evidence in Sunnycrest Apt. 203, although he visited
>the apartment complex twice on Aug 24, 2004?  This information may have
>proved, or disproved, the allegations against Patrick Thompson.
>Did he already believe Patrick Thompson was guilty?
>
>Peace, BD
>
>--
>Brian Dolinar, Ph.D.
>204 S. Lynn St.
>Champaign, IL 61820
>briandolinar at gmail.com

I tremble to say anything at all here, but feel that I must weigh in with
just a word of caution.

I've been working on this issue for over FIVE years, Brian, and have a
bulging briefcase full of research and paperwork to prove it.  I'm not sure
where you've been, since I've never seen you at a meeting of the Coalition
for Citizen Police Review.  But perhaps we didn't publicize our existence
well enough.  And this is surely no time to be territorial.  We've all
supported this concept of citizen police review in our various ways, and we
will all benefit from it.  It's time to pull together, with wisdom.

The mayor of Urbana is in support of a CPRB that is effective, as are at
least four and possibly five of the seven city council members.  It is
Mayor Prussing who appointed the task force which has recently rendered its
report, and she and a few others attended the annual meeting of NACOLE
(National Association for Citizen Oversight of Law Enforcement) down in
Florida a few months ago.  She was actually one of the original members of
the Coalition for Citizen Police Review, back in 2001.  The task force
was/is comprised mainly of people who are supportive of a CPRB, but at the
same time there was a serious attempt to assure that no constituency went
unrepresented.

We of the Coalition met with the mayor (past and present), all seven of the
council members (both past and present), and the police chief and his
assistant Mike Bily, who is now the Chief or at least acting Chief, I'm not
sure.  We tried but were unsuccessful in meeting with the president of the
police union.

We had developed a proposal and a model ordinance, which called for each
city council member to nominate three possible candidates from his/her ward
for the CPRB.  The mayor would then choose one of the three nominees from
each ward.

In our proposed model there were no law enforcement officials, past or
present, on the CPRB.  But there are other possible models, not only
hypothetically but in practice around the country.  In one - Lansing,
Michigan I think it is - there's a police officer on the CPRB, but s/he is
counterbalanced by representatives from several minority groups and other
special constituencies.

In no successful model of the CPRB anywhere in the country is there an
instance where law enforcement officials comprise anywhere near a voting
majority of the CPRB.  It's natural for the police union to want to be
represented on the CPRB.  But it's important to bear in mind that this
representative, should it come to that, would have only one vote and would
essentially be there in an advisory capacity.  It's also important to bear
in mind that a CPRB can be truly successful in a community ONLY if ALL
segments of the community - including the police - support it because they
feel that they have a vested interest and some input into it.

I encourage all of you to go to these meetings, speak your minds, make your
voices heard.  But please don't sabotage the process by being belligerent
in "demanding" this and that, and by bringing in examples that are only
tangentially relevant to the process of creating a CPRB.  Yes, the Patrick
Thompson case in general, and Officer Hediger's performance in particular,
may well be one that the CPRB would look into if there WAS a CPRB.  But the
meeting tonight is only one in a long series of meetings whose purpose is
to give birth to a CPRB.  I assure you that, very much like the gestation
and birth experience, the process is working as it should, albeit slowly,
at least so far.  Let us work together to monitor the process with all the
means at our disposal.  But let us be careful not to abort the process
through haste or hyperbole.  Let us be wise in insisting that the CPRB have
certain necessary features, such as subpoena power.  But let us also
exercise wisdom in being willing to compromise where compromise will not
jeopardize the essential functioning of the CPRB, and indeed where an
unwillingness to compromise might jeopardize the very creation of a CPRB.

I'm sorry I'm weighing in on this so late.  I wasn't even aware that the
Urbana City Council would be considering the task force's report
tonight.  :-(  I CAN assure you that no final action will be taken tonight.

Sincerely and respectfully,

John Wason