[Peace-discuss] Fairfax, California votes for impeachment

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 07:00:17 CDT 2006

Town of Fairfax Urges Congress to Impeach Bush and Cheney
Submitted by davidswanson on Mon, 2006-07-10 15:50. Impeachment
http://www.impeachbush.tv

The Town of Fairfax California voted unanimously last night to impeach
George Bush and Dick Cheney. Their resolution will be sent to
representatives in Congress and to the House Judiciary Committee
urging them to investigate and impeach the President and Vice
President on a variety of charges.

The most serious charge was for intentionally misleading Congress
about the threat from Iraq as justification for war. Other charges
related to the torture and illegal detention of prisoners, and the
illegal wiretapping of American citizens.

The resolution also tied into local issues by describing how White
House actions are negatively impacting Fairfax. The town was hit
heavily by floods last winter. The resolution describes how there is
less money available for disaster relief, and fewer National Guard
troops available for emergency aid, because of the war in Iraq.

A sign of how strongly Fairfax supports impeachment is the fact that
two resolutions were being worked on independently. A group of Marin
County citizens had prepared a resolution and were planning to have it
voted on in August after slowly building grass roots support. In the
meantime, Millie Barrett of Fairfax, feeling a sense of urgency
because of the ongoing war in Iraq, started her own resolution without
realizing one was already in progress. She quickly collected 200
signatures and was able to get the resolution on the Town Council
agenda for July.

When the two groups realized that they were both working on
impeachment they immediately joined forces. Millie wanted to add Dick
Cheney to her original resolution because many people signing the
petition had expressed concern over having Cheney replace Bush. When
she learned that the other group's resolution was very similar but
included Dick Cheney, she graciously agreed to use it instead of hers.

At the meeting Wednesday night in Fairfax, David Glick read the text
of the resolution he had prepared. Many people from the town spoke in
favor of the resolution charging Bush with violating our Constitution.

Two people expressed opposition to the resolution citing concern over
whether it was inappropriate town business, or that it would be
ineffective. Larry Bragman, Vice Mayor, said that even though the
resolution is largely symbolic, it was better to do something than to
do nothing.

David Glick said after the vote that he was "proud of our town council
for considering and passing the impeachment resolution against the
President and Vice President because there are always elements in the
town that are opposed to local town councils addressing national
issues. In this case I feel our town council understood that we are
undergoing a true crisis of democracy and that they needed to live up
to their oath of office to protect and defend the Constitution".

Millie Barrett was also pleased with the outcome saying "I am very
proud to live in the liberal town of Fairfax. It's wonderful being in
a community that cares about what's going on in the rest of the
nation. I hope people get involved because one voice matters. It's
very important for people to speak out."

Several of the folks present at the meeting had spoken out the day
before by marching in a 4th of July parade in the nearby town of
Sausalito. All along the parade route the crowds on the sidewalk
spontaneously applauded and cheered when they saw the "Impeach Bush"
banner. "I feel this is patriotic." said one marcher. "My loyalty to
the Constitution is just greater than my loyalty to the politicians."

A final draft of the Fairfax resolution is available here.

http://www.impeachbush.tv/news/fairfax_vote_060706.html