[Peace-discuss] Addendum

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 18 13:17:36 CDT 2006

>From anonymous post:

Falsehood 1: “As for Syria, they were shelling towns
in the Galilee region. They were trying to block off
all Israel's water supply (a move backed by Egypt at
the UAR meetings starting as early as 1964). They were
sending in terrorists to attack Israel.”

According to Yehoshaphat Harkabi (chief of Israeli
military intelligence) review of the Syrian-Israel
border (conducted soon after the 1967 war), the
Palestinian guerrillas attacks from Syrian were
marginal and of no significance. The Golan Heights
front was actually incidental to the June war. Dayan
himself admitted that Israel attacked the Golan
Heights for one reason – real estate! UN observers and
US consulate reports show that there were problems
with the Syrian border. However, according to both the
UN and the US, these were instigated by Israel, with
Syria putting in token retaliation.

Falsehood 2: “Allowing UNEF to be based in Israel
would have impeded Israels ability to defend
themselves”

Hence, they were necessary on Egypt’s border, where
Egypt could not defend itself? Your statement just
doesn’t make sense. As noted by numerous scholars, it
was well know that Egypt was posturing, had no
intention of attacking, and had no chance in hell in
winning. This was the view of the US to Israel as
well. IN the words of Menachem Begin” “The Egyptian
army concentrations in the Sinai approaches do not
prove that Naser was really about to attack us. We
must be honest with ourselves. We decided to attack
him”. The whole reason for going to war was to make
sure that Naser did not complete his meission of
transforming the Arab world into a modern, Westernised
and secular state. A fact acknowledged by people like
Ben-Gurion. This has been the aim of most of Western
policy with regard to Arabs. Keep them oppressed under
feudal and family dictatorships – ignorant and
oppressed. That’s the way we prefer our peasant Arabs.