[Peace-discuss] hope in dark times

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 10:22:53 CDT 2006

i hope people aren't getting too demoralized by all the "support
Israel" and "solidarity with Israel" stuff. the situation is bad,
obviously, but not as bad as that stuff would indicate. like yellow
ribbons and "support our troops," the strategy of the adversary is to
frame the question as "support Israel" which many understand as
"support the right of Israelis to exist and go about their business."

the adversary wants us to be demoralized.

our task is to shine the light somewhere else.

after Reagan bombed Libya, there was an overnight poll that said only
19% of Americans were against the bombing. a reporter asked a
spokeswoman from AFSC how she felt about that, and she said,

"Our task is to make that 19% more visible."

A lot of Democrats, actually, are saying and doing good things, not
just Hayden and Kucinich. But they are not getting press coverage.
Here's an example I stumbled upon this morning. Rep. Kilpatrick is
from Detroit. This is on the top of her Congressional webpage.

http://www.house.gov/kilpatrick/

---

Congresswoman Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick Issues Statement about the
Escalating Conflict between Israel and Hezbollah

Detroit, MI – Congresswoman Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick (13th
District-MI) issued the following statement today regarding the
escalating violence in the Middle East:

I am deeply concerned about the escalating violence between Israel and
Lebanon.  The violence is resulting in substantial losses of innocent
civilian lives.

Both Israel and Hezbollah bear responsibility for the violence. In the
current situation, the level of response to aggression should be
measured and proportionately directed at the real aggressors, not
innocent civilians.

Israel's military operation has caused deaths of over 200 largely
innocent Lebanese civilians. At the same time, Hezbollah bombings have
killed more than 20 Israelis.  Strategic bombings by Israel are
resulting in the devastation of not only the Lebanese infrastructure,
but the loss of lives of non-combatants.

It is vital the following occur: 1) An immediate cease-fire must take
place; 2) Israel must allow all Americans to be evacuated to ships
waiting to transport them. 3) Hezbollah must agree to a cessation of
bombing targets in Israel during the cease-fire; 4) President Bush and
the administration must enter into dialogue to facilitate an interim
agreement; 5) Both Israel and leaders of Hezbollah should allow for
the medically injured to be evacuated and attended to; and 6) The
sovereign government of Lebanon should be restored in order that it
may engage in legitimate negotiations between Israel and Hezbollah.

As a member with diverse constituents who are Jewish, Arab American,
and of Lebanese descent, I am concerned about the human and emotional
toll that the conflict is inflicting on affected victims within
Lebanon, the region involving Gaza, and my district in Michigan.  In
the spirit of reconciliation and compassion, I call upon the Israeli
government and the leaders of Hezbollah to terminate their violent
activities. Israel and Hezbollah must enter into serious and honest
discussions regarding the return of the kidnapped Israeli soldiers and
the exchange of prisoners held by Israel.

The current crisis is spiraling out of control, and our President must
demonstrate leadership.  The President must send a strong signal that
the United States does not condone the ongoing loss of innocent
civilian lives by Israelis, Palestinians, Lebanese, and other
nationalities caught in the regional conflict.

I have recently traveled to the Middle East and was shocked by
anti-American sentiments. Our friends say that America is forsaking
its friends in the region. There are grave concerns about our invasion
and occupation of Iraq and our negative response to the democratically
elected Palestinian leaders. These negative sentiments are beginning
to take hold widely in the region. Unfortunately, recent events in
Israel, Lebanon, and Gaza only serve to reinforce my concerns about
the lack of diplomatic and peaceful negotiations between our ally
Israel and its volatile neighbors in the region.

Finally, at the present time, there are an estimated 7,000 metro
Detroit residents who are American citizens in Lebanon and Gaza. I am
committed to working with members of the Jewish, Muslim, and Arab
American communities in my District who are hoping for an immediate
cease-fire. They are also requesting humanitarian relief for the areas
devastated by Israel's bombing campaign. My prayers are with all of
the affected families.

--
Robert Naiman
Just Foreign Policy