[Peace-discuss] re: hope in dark times

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 14:09:54 CDT 2006

Tom,

You and I obviously have very different views about what constitutes useful
activity in the context of the current crisis. We could debate this, but I
don't think it would be productive. There is too much else to do. Let us
each focus on our own efforts to bring the violence to an end.

Regards,

Robert Naiman

On 7/21/06, Tom Mackaman <tmackaman at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  Robert,
>
> A couple of points must be made about your comment that "a lot of
> Democrats, actually, are saying and doing good things, not just Hayden and
> Kucinich."
>
> 1.  Kucinich could not even muster the courage to oppose the Congressional
> resolution, passed yesterday, that pins ALL blame on Hezzbulah, and
> essentially asks Israel to continue its bombardment, instead taking the
> cowardly route of announcing his "presence" for the record.
>
> 2.  Even the model statement you include, from Rep. Kilpatrick, begins
> with the dishonest statement that both Hezzbulah and Israel are to blame.
> It is a sad commentary that even mentioning, and even then in a
> mealy-mouthed way, that Israel shares a portion of the blame, places
> Kilpatrick in some sort of fringe within her own party.  In fact, and it is
> essential that sincere people must not compromise their honesty at all, *Israel
> and the US deserve all of the blame.  *These are clearly long-standing
> Israeli and American aims that simply awaited a pretext.  There is no way
> that Lebanon could have avoided this.
>
> 3.  Who are "a lot" of Democrats?  None of the significant national
> leaders of the party, none of its Senators.  None of its presidential
> aspirants!  Only six(!) D Congressmen out of 200+ managed to vote against
> the obnoxious pro-Israeli resolution.  And even to the extent that there
> exist a few isolated voices ostensibly opposed to the attack, such as
> Conyers and Fitzpatrick (but not Kucinich!), one has to ask what role they
> are serving.  Just as is the case with the purportedly anti-war wing of the
> Democratic Party, they only serve to perpetuate illusions and to draw the
> growing anger of worknig people over the wars back into what is, without a
> doubt, a pro-war and pro-Israeli party.
>
> If, on the other hand, we mean rank-and-file Democrats, that is average
> working people, then I'll agree with you.  No doubt typical Democratic Party
> voters are disgusted by the attack on Lebanon, as much as they are by the
> war in Iraq.  But this serves to paint up starkly, once again, the deep
> chasm separating a pro-war, pro-business, party and its dissolving "base."
>
> I'm sorry Robert, it's a waste of energy to offer a brief for the
> Democrats on the invasion when they're falling all over themselves to
> outhawk the Republicans.
>

> Best regards,
>  Tom

Robert Naiman