[Peace-discuss] Israel piece for the N-G

Morton K. Brussel brussel at uiuc.edu
Fri Jul 28 22:36:24 CDT 2006

An excellent presentation, Carl.  I would only emphasize somewhat
more that the "collective punishment" inflicted on a society--in this
case Lebanon, its people and its civilian infrastructure--is a crime
against humanity which we are told tis uniting the world against
us.   I also would differ a bit on responsibility: Yes, the US could
stop these atrocious acts with a snap of its fingers, and it is
backing the Israelis diplomatically, economically, and with weaponry,
but this does not mean that the Israeli leaders and much of its
population are not equally culpable. One should condemn both actors
of this horrible drama. I don't buy the argument that Israel is only
a pawn of the U.S.; it is a dependent client, yes, but it has its own
reasons for what it does. That they often coincide with American
reasons is just in the nature of their imperialist or colonialist
natures.

Aside from that, you should fix the typo "armory" in the third to the
last paragraph.

Send it in!

Mort