[Peace-discuss] Letter to N-G

Morton K. Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Sat Jul 29 18:29:13 CDT 2006

I've sent this in to the N-G today. It is not enough. --mkb

One doesn’t know whether mis- and dis-information presented in recent
letters to the editor of the News-Gazette derive from ignorance or
willful intention.

L. Daniel Metz has written that broad disagreement exists about
global warming in the scientific community, in stark contradiction to
the government report that he cites for evidence. (Those confused
might consult  http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/science/
Fingerprints.html.) The report of the Intergovernmental Panel on
Climate Change in 2001 stated, "There is new and stronger evidence
that most of the warming observed over the last 50 years is
attributable to human activities." Since, the evidenced has become
much stronger.  Metz is way off base.

Ken Goodchild writes about “the global war initiated by Islamic
extremists.”, citing 9/11 and other violent acts against U.S.
properties and interests, but conveniently fails to recognize the
horrendous record of his own government and its clients in this
regard.  One can still remember the havoc and terror inflicted in
Vietnam, our support of terrorism and repression in Central America
(Guatemala and Nicaragua) and South America (Argentina, Chile…), in
Africa (Angola,  Congo, South Africa), in Suharto’s Indonesia, in our
client sheikdoms Saudi Arabia and Jordan, our support for Saddam
Hussein when he attacked Iran, our support for the Pinochet regime in
Chile, our interventions in Cuba, Grenada, Panama, Yugoslavia—the
list goes on—and now our support of the atrocious actions of Israel
in Lebanon and Palestine and our mutilation of Iraq and its people.
Bin Laden has said he was motivated to attack the Twin Towers by the
sight of Beirut burning in 1982, “and the whole world saw and heard
but it didn't respond.”  There has been plenty of provocation, even
if their acts of retaliation are not to be excused.

How many more will be driven to vengeance by what is transpiring in
the middle east, where our partner Israel is wreaking murderous
destruction upon a people. What possibly can arouse Americans to
demand an end to the war and destruction caused or supported by its
government?