[Peace-discuss] Mel Gibson RIP

Tammy Watts tammyewatts at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 30 13:58:13 CDT 2006

Alteration, no.  Polarization and moving toward a more extreme view, yes.  Israel's ongoing actions are producing a whole new generation of "terrorists."  The support Israel's campaign is enjoying from Jewish groups here in the U.S. is contributing to increasing anti-Semitism; not the other way around.

  The onus of peaceful dialogue should be on Jewish community groups and organizations.  In Dayton, OH there was a solidarity rally for Israel with former IDF officers as keynote speakers.  ALL the Jewish organizations in the area sponsored the event.  Not one took a neutral stance or acknowledged the humanitarian catastrophe Israel has created.

  I don't feel protective of Gibson; however in an environment where our artists are attacked for being "insensitive" to one particular group of people, as an American it certainly puts me on the defensive.  If it's not Gibson coming under fire for The Passion of the Christ, it's that self-hating Spielberg being condemned for his portrayal of Palestinians as *gasp* humans with legitimate motivations behind their actions.  Not to mention the Palestinian film that was nearly railroaded out of a Best Foreign Film Oscar nomination.

  Our House of Representatives just passed a resolution 410-8 that expressed solidarity with Israel and blamed the victims for nearly 600 civilian deaths.  For the first time in my memory, the AP actually reported that many Congressmen & women expressed concern over the language in the resolution, but were "afraid of being targeted by the Israeli lobby."

  I'm not trying to explain or justify Gibson's remarks; a look at our government, media and entertainment industry that are paralyzed by a whisper of the "anti-Semitic" label speaks for itself.

Robert Naiman <naiman.uiuc at gmail.com> wrote:  For most people most of the time, stress, even extreme stress, doesn't
lead to an alteration of world view. A person who expresses
anti-Semitic sentiments under stress is almost certainly a person who
already held these views, although may have previously been able to
exercise enough self-restraint not to publicly and explicitly express
them.

The information about Gibson's behavior is in several press reports
based on the police report. Neither Gibson nor his spokespeople have
denied anything in the press reports.

The notion that Israel's war crimes in Lebanon and Gaza justify or
explain or excuse anti-Semitism is dangerous. It is a significant
obstacle to reforming U.S. policy in the Middle East.

I imagine that there are a lot of folks that admire and respect Mel
Gibson for totally unrelated reasons, and in retrospect my original
post was unnecessarily provocative, and I apologize for that.
Certainly, if folks who feel protective of Mel Gibson tend to downplay
his anti-Semitic statements as a result of feeling that he is being
picked on, that would not be a good thing.

I don't mean to suggest that in the set of all problems in the United
States today anti-Semitism is a huge one. Anti-Semitism in the U.S.
today is certainly a minor phenomenon compared with what most Jews had
to deal with in Europe for hundreds of years, or even in the U.S. a
hundred years ago. But in the context of discussion of the Middle East
in the U.S., it's extremely harmful. It obstructs conversations that
urgently need to happen, and helps keep people in positions that they
need to come out of.