[Peace-discuss] Hate

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Fri Jun 23 13:45:13 CDT 2006

I think we are dealing with two different meanings of "hate".

1) There is the "I hate you" statement that I suspect we were all
informed by our parents that we should never make. This is
a venomous emotion that is as likely to destroy the hater as the
hated. This sort of hatred is both bad and negative. Its intent
is the destruction of the hated person. Bigots specialize in this
sort of hatred.

2) The other more common use of "hate" is found in statements such as
"I hate the way this program works." This is negative, in the sense
that it describes a negative emotion, but the intent is to correct
a flaw if the opportunity presents itself. That is to say, it is
an emotion that leads to good action, and that is in no sense
inherently pathological (as opposed to the first usage, which is
definitely describes something pathological).

Bob