[Peace-discuss] Hatred # 2

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Fri Jun 23 20:35:49 CDT 2006

John W. wrote:
> We humans have an almost infinite capacity for self-
deception.

Which brings us back to the torture issue. As humans, it
would be easy for soldiers to say "they are the enemy", "they
don't deserve to be comfortable." Why would anyone would
think that the information gained by threat or pain or fear
would give reliable information? There is nothing to back
this up.

And a human being that believes that this is a good way to
get information, why would we think they would give up the
tactic once they are home and away from "the enemy"? The
crime rate will go up back home.

Bambi kind of suggests that it is not to retrieve information
but rather to hurt the enemy. And if a person justifies
treating the enemy this way, then they must be ready to
accept the enemy treating them in this way. Soldiers hurt so
they can hate and they hate so they hurt. It is all about
keeping the hate going.

Mistreatment will definitely convert a wrongly accused person
to an enemy. Hatred is very easy to spread.

-karen medina