[Peace-discuss] Patently false article

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 21:36:47 CDT 2006

At 08:57 PM 6/28/2006, C. G. Estabrook wrote:

>Berkeley was not "the first city in the nation to put a referendum on the
>Nov. 7 ballot to impeach President George W. Bush and Vice President Dick
>Cheney."  Champaign and Urbana did that in April.

I figured that's what you meant, Carl.  But isn't our own referendum a
township initiative, rather than an initiative of either Champaign or
Urbana as a city cum city?   While we are heartily to be congratulated -
and the news should be widely disseminated so that the congratulatory
telegrams can come pouring in - if I'm right then it would be technically
correct for Ms. Bender to say that Berkeley was the first CITY, etc.  In
any case, I don't see where she's guilty of anything remotely approaching
"crass ignorance" or "patently" false reportage.

As my mother would have advised, had she possessed the requisite
vocabulary, "Save your hyperbole for the big things."

John again