[Peace-discuss] Talking points on Iran

Morton K. Brussel brussel at uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 29 13:16:19 CDT 2006

This may be appropriate for the "persuadable middle", but as an AWARE
statement it has, to my mind, some faults:

1) It assumes that Iran should not have a nuclear capability without
qualifying that assertion with statements regarding the nuclear  and
other threats to Iran (Israel!, Pakistan?, the USA!). For it is only
natural that Iran seek to have a deterrent to those palpable threats,
despite Iran's disclaimers.

2) It neglects history--that of the US involvement in Iran. It
neglects the determination of the Administration for regime change in
Iran. That is, is gives the flavor that the U.S. wants only good
things for the world, and Iran is an obstacle.

3) I'm not sure that it would be a good thing (for the world) if
those friendly to the US in Iran were to win out. Those friendly to
the U.S. are a mixed bag: Secularists, Monarchists—nostalgic for
another Shah—, those who want the U.S. to crush the Sunni forces in
Iraq, etc..

On the other hand, it presents rational reasons why we ought not
attack Iran—why diplomacy must take precedence over threats and war,
and that is all to the the good.

My 2€,

--mkb