[Peace-discuss] 501c3

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 22:49:36 CDT 2006

At 02:37 PM 6/29/2006, Bob Illyes wrote:

>The IMC is prohibited from taking sides in elections as a part of its
>tax-exempt status. The billboard will address the November election,
>which would be out-of-bounds for the IMC. We could put up just an
>anti-war billboard, but since this is directly tied to a November vote
>this is really pushing the envelope. I'll ask at Steering next week,
>but I think the answer will be "no", and I think the billboard folks
>know this.
>
>What's the standard cost of a billboard?
>
>Bob

For what it's worth, Bob, I think the IMC as a 501(c)(3) can take a
position on "issues" but not on political candidates.  "Troops out of Iraq"
is clearly an issue.  "Impeach Bush" is a close call.  It's not clear to me
whether the fact that an "issue" is on a referendum ballot is relevant.

John Wason