[Peace-discuss] Request for co-sponsorship from PRC

Jen Tayabji tayabji at shout.net
Wed Mar 1 17:29:48 CST 2006

Dear AWARE,

It's Jen Tayabji from the Progressive Resource/Action Cooperative (PRC). I
am writing you today to ask for AWARE's co-sponsorship of an upcoming event.

On March 28th, the PRC will be hosting Professor Francis A. Boyle in a talk
entitled, "The National Case To Impeach President George W. Bush, Jr." It
will begin at 7pm at 213 Gregory Hall (south part of UIUC Quad). The event
is free and open to the public.

George W. Bush was returned to the US presidency by voters convinced of his
moral and leadership qualities. But his moral failures were exposed through
the Downing Street Memo's proof of systematic lying concerning Iraqi WMD and
connection to al-Qaeda. And now, his leadership on the domestic front has
been proved to be criminally negligent in response to the ravages of
Hurricane Katrina. Only impeachment offers Americans a swift and appropriate
recourse. George W. Bush must be impeached for lying in leading the nation
to war in Iraq. And President Bush, Vice President Cheney, and Secretary of
Homeland Security Michael Chertoff must be impeached for denying Equal
Protection of the Laws to the Katrina Victims because they are Poor and
because they are Black, in violation of the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments
to the United States Constitution.

Francis A. Boyle is a leading American expert in international law. He was
responsible for drafting the Biological Weapons Anti-Terrorism Act of 1989,
the American implementing legislation for the 1972 Biological Weapons
Convention. He served on the Board of Directors of Amnesty International
(1988-1992), and represented Bosnia-Herzegovina at the World Court.
Professor Boyle teaches international law at the University of Illinois,
Champaign. His books include "The Future of International Law and American
Foreign Policy ", "Foundations of World Order: The Legalist Approach to
International Relations 1898-1921." He holds a Doctor of Law Magna Cum Laude
as well as a Ph.D. in Political Science, both from Harvard University.

We are looking for organizations to cosponsor this event by allowing us to
use their name in the publicity, by helping us publicize the event (sending
out an email, having us speak at a org. meeting, etc.), and by helping bring
out people to attend this event. Financial donations are encouraged, but not
required to cosponsor the event.

Please let me know by 3pm on Tuesday, March 7th, if AWARE would like to
cosponsor.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me!

In solidarity,
Jen Tayabji
PRC Co-coordinator

Jen Tayabji
Executive Director
Illinois Disciples Foundation (IDF)
610 E. Springfield Ave., Champaign, IL  61820
Work (217) 352-8721 | Cell (217) 840-8248
http://www.prairienet.org/idf

"If we remember those times and places--and there are so many--where people
have behaved magnificently, this gives us the energy to act, and at least
the possibility of sending this spinning top of a world in a different
direction. And if we do act, in however small a way, we don't have to wait
for some grand utopian future. The future is an infinite succession of
presents, and to live now as we think human beings should live, in defiance
of all that is bad around us, is itself a marvelous victory."

--Howard Zinn

------ End of Forwarded Message