[Peace-discuss] Zogby- troops want to Exit

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 2 15:50:25 CST 2006

Carl has an excellent point (with a good graphic).

Recently I came to know about a conversation between a
an anti-war veteran and a friend who is also anti-war,
the upshot of which is that -for our part of the
blame- one barrier is that anti-war vets are often
turned off by some in the peace movement who frown
upon military service (which I admit I do, too) but in
a rather judgmental way -- regardless of "the economic
draft" and other realities of military service.

For example, I understand that some people, my
stepfather being one, go into the military as gung-ho
patriotic sheep and come out quite otherwise.  My
friend who was in the US Army in Baghdad is always
reminding me how many folks there think the war in
b.s. - and this poll certainly backs that up.
Certainly there are other obstacles to communicating
with "the troops", even larger ones, but this is one
we can work on quite easily.

Just a thought.  I think we could keep this in mind
when we do our counter-recruitment work, for example.
Maybe we could solicit some creative input on it?

Ricky