[Peace-discuss] RE: Supporting the troops? Who's responsible?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 3 23:48:05 CST 2006

You're surely right, Phil, about the sources of the war,
altho' I might quibble about a "stable oil supply": the US has
insisted for years that it control Middle east energy
resources principally as a way to control its major economic
rivals, Europe and northeast Asia.

But that's not what's argued publicly.  In fact, the
administration has recently made an interesting rhetorical
shift from "the global war on terror" to the (somewhat less
euphonious) war against the "global extremist Islamic empire"
[sic] (which Rumsfeld specifically compared to the American
Cold War propaganda idea of the international Communist
conspiracy) or the war on "radical Islam," as Bush said in
Pakistan today. That is, they're insisting ever more on the
religious aspect of their propaganda.

Compare that with UK PM Tony Blair's proclamation this weekend
(http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/article349125.ece)
"that God will judge whether he was right to send British
troops to Iraq, echoing statements from his ally George Bush,"
as the Independent/UK put it.  (I think that it's going to be
a difficult interview for Tony.)

I think it's not the case that the article is "trying to
drum up religious hatred (or more precisely, hatred of a
particular religion) to attack anyone and everyone who serves
our country."  In the contrary, the author's trying to point
out how hateful it is to "cover sin with smooth names" and
blasphemously invoke the name of God to justify mass murder.

And it raises the difficult question of how we are to respond
to those who carried out the mass murder, coerced and misled
as they may have been.  We asked that question about the
Germans after WWII, but the Germans surely had less freedom
than we and our contemporaries do to find out what the
situation is and to act upon it -- and therefore perhaps
correspondingly less guilt.

What would we say about a German in 1944 who said, "I support
our troops"?  We must say at least as much about an American
who says that today.  --CGE