[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Fwd: Your interest in the Iraq War resolution

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 6 20:07:29 CST 2006

I can imagine just this position being taken by a city
councilman in a provincial German town in 1942.

In each case -- Germany and the US -- the national government
was responsible for what the Nuremberg Tribunal called
"aggressive war" -- "the supreme international crime,
differing only from other war crimes in that it contains
within itself the accumulated evil of the whole.”

If "good Germans" were asked after WWII why they didn't oppose
the war and the torture and barbarism that went with it, would
we accept the response, "Well, out community was divided"?

And of course the Germans of that day were less guilty than
we, because they lacked our freedom to do something about the
situation.  --CGE