[Peace-discuss] RE:Supporting the troops? Who's responsible?

Janine Giordano jgiord2 at uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 6 22:25:46 CST 2006

I really like what Carl has to say about how, in order to issue forgiveness,
there must be some sin or "evil" committed.

It's interesting to note that over the last couple weeks, there has been a
debate on H-Religion (a discussion list for historians dealing with the
history of religion) over the origins of the religious right. It has
encompassed analyses of the voting behavior of people who called themselves
"Jesus freaks" or followers of Billy Graham in the late 60s/early 70s, and
discussed how poltical coalitions can be traced over the last thirty years.
Currently, list members are discussing the theology of the new religious
right and its correspondence with neoconservatives today: how fundamentalist
Christian eschatology relating to Islam supports (in fact, undergirds) the
Bush administration's foreign policy aims. We are discussing the cold war,
palestine, and the way politics have been construed around religion.
However, nobody has raised the point that religion is constructed around
politics as much as politics is constructed around religion: In my
estimation, theological interpretation is a highly poltical process, and
construed in dialectical relationship with the political atmosphere of the
era. It is no coincidence that Bible reference books are overwhelmingly
written by Anglo white men, that fundamentalist seminaries are so heavily
based in the South in universities entrenched in the politics of segregation
and misogyny, nor that many of today's evangelical ministers are direct
descendants of the upper/middle class of whites in the South who had owned
slaves and vehemently defended "state's rights" (and tobacco..). Many of us
on the left know this---only too well--but evangelicals who have been
"grafted in" ethnically and racially into the Anglo-dominated institution of
the Protestant churches in the US are often kept ignorant of the fact that
so much Bible interpretation (sytematic theology) is founded in universities
that are based in white supremacist politics. (If you want more on this, I'd
be happy to elaborate. I went to a conference in Chicago this past November
wherein I spoke with some of the big-wigs in this push toward politicizing
Christian colleges and universities in "fundamentalist Christian" values.
I'd love to talk about this more if anyone is interested. I had a
fascinating--and pretty horrifying--private conversation with Dallas
Willard--a hugely influential Christian philosopher/theologian.)

So, when I ask myself who is responsible for the war and supporting the
troops, I do not simply blame Bush or the evangelical Christians who are
close-minded and misinformed enough to believe him. I do not only blame the
ignorant parents of these Christians who raised them in racial hatred and
xenophobia, or in the extreme influx of "family values" --another name for
negating the power of the women's lib movement and resurrecting male
authority in the public and private domains. I also blame the evangelical
community for supporting the Anglo-centric, ultra-nationalistic, imperial
agenda of Southern conservative white men who call themselves bible
scholars. I think we (even and especially us Christians) need to see
biblical interpretation and theology as a highly political, contingent and
political process--and those of us who are Christ-followers should not see
this as any threat to belief in Christ as Messiah. Bob Jones University is
alive and well as a center for theological interpretation.

Early on in the h-net conversation, the list moderator made an announcement
that too many people were sending in "political statements," and that he
would not post any statements that were partisan. Ha! I sent in a comment
that religious history is inherently political, but it has not been posted
to date and I doubt it will be. Let's try to divide following Christ (the
Christian faith) from contentious theolgical interpretations.... I find the
desire of some to argue these are inherently linked as the source of a lot
of political blame.