[Peace-discuss] Letter to DI

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 15 19:31:17 CST 2006

     John Bambenek (3/15) accuses the Anti-War
Anti-Racism Effort of anti-Semitism and having a
“critical view”
on Christians. He adds that those in AWARE are not
“against hate speech or war, they just want make sure
the right people are on the business end of them.”

	I have been active in AWARE since it’s founding in
2001. Our primary effort has been in opposition to
U.S. wars since then, in Afghanistan and Iraq. I can
assure Bambenek that we have not endorsed violence of
any kind. We do, however, take seriously the question
“Why do they hate us?” Given George Bush’s recent
endorsement of nuclear weapons for India while
threatening to invade Iran on the same count, that
question would seem more relevant than ever.

	One of the answers to that question leads to the
occupation of Palestine by Israel. As a Jew, I have
worked against that for the past nine years, including
in AWARE and Jewish-identified groups like Not In My
Name (Chicago). I can assure Bambenek that criticisms
AWARE makes of Israeli policies, and U.S. policies in
its support, are not inspired by hatred of Jews, but
by same spirit of anti-war, pro-human rights
positions. My criticism of Israel comes partly from
the values of universalism and social justice that are
inseparable from my Jewish identity.

	Likewise, Christian members of AWARE promote partly
what they understand as the teachings of Jesus, to
which Bambenek apparently takes exception and makes
exceptions. I would invite Bambenek—or anyone else—to
attend our weekly meeting, Sunday at 5, at the
Independent Media Center at the Urbana Post Office,
Broadway & Elm. There is too much work to be done
against the hatred incited around the world by our
current administration to allow that hatred to be
re-enacted in our community.

David Green