[Peace-discuss] The administration tips its hand

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Mon May 1 22:26:04 CDT 2006

I haven't been following this closely, but I would like someone to
explain why the African force needs to be replaced by a UN or NATO
force. Not enough troops? Give the Africans money for more troops. Not
enough mandate? Give the African force a broader mandate. One wonders
whether the Western powers have deliberately sabotaged the African
force, so they can come in. If I were Egyptian, I sure would not be
keen on European troops in Sudan. It was not so long ago that Egypt
renounced its claim on Sudan, following a referendum that Egypt almost
won.

On 5/1/06, C. G. Estabrook <galliher at uiuc.edu> wrote:
> Tell me that the administration, busily reinventing itself,
> isn't taking a leaf from the Clinton playbook and arranging a
> false humanitarian campaign against a recalcitrant state (then
> Serbia, today Sudan) on the ring around the cynosure of US
> foreign policy, Mideast energy resources: Reuters reports
> that SOS Rice has just sent her chief deputy, Robert Zoellick,
> to the Darfur peace talks in Nigeria and said it was time to
> complete planning for a "robust security force" in Sudan. --CGE

RN