[Peace-discuss] War & impeachment

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed May 3 16:56:22 CDT 2006

[Here's a letter to the N-G from last week; my answer, sent today,
follows. --CGE]

   Different rules apply to different presidents
   Friday April 28, 2006

I see the pouting pundits of pessimism are reveling in their latest
political coup by calling for President Bush's impeachment. In a fit of
venomous divisiveness, these political partisans have recklessly
conflated virtually every post-9/11 decision made by President Bush into
some Watergate-style scandal.

Their rant about "Bush's illegal war" is disingenuous given their own
silence during Bill Clinton's unilateral bombing of sovereign countries
in the Balkans. President Clinton conducted those military operations
without either a joint congressional resolution or a United Nations
resolution, yet he was hailed as a great liberator.

Does anyone remember any self-described "person of conscience," like
Carl Estabrook, pushing for municipal resolutions to impeach Clinton for
his "illegal warmongering" seven years ago?

By contrast, President Bush received his initial authorization to use
American military force against the Taliban, al-Qaida and rogue
terrorist states through the Sept. 14, 2001, congressional resolution.

The subsequent October 2002 congressional resolution for the use of
American force in Iraq listed 15 reasons besides weapons of mass
destruction to depose Saddam's regime.

As to U.N. Resolution 1441, the subsequent Duelfer/Kay report still
found Saddam's regime in "material breach" despite the apparent lack of
ready stockpiles of WMD.

One can only marvel at how the majority of these left-wing Bush-bashers,
who have long prided themselves in seeing everything in nuanced shades
of gray, now magically see everything in black and white.

It is precisely this kind of self-serving partisan zealotry that poses
the greatest threat to this nation's ability to defend itself during
these perilous times.

HENRY SEITER Jr.

================

A letter to your journal recently [April 28] attacked those of us who
condemn Bush's illegal war and call for the impeachment of his
administration as "disingenuous given their own silence during Bill
Clinton's unilateral bombing of sovereign countries in the Balkans." In
fact it mentioned me personally as not condemning Clinton's war, and not
calling for his impeachment.

The writer is ill-informed on several matters.  He is unaware of my
condemnation at the time -- in speech, in print and on my regular weekly
program on politics on community station WEFT-FM ("News from Neptune")
-- of Clinton's illegal war; and of my view that Clinton was quite
properly impeached -- and should have been removed from office -- for
perjury and obstruction of justice.  (I even mentioned my support for
Clinton's impeachment at the annual meeting of the township of the City
of Champaign, which placed withdrawal and impeachment referenda on the
ballot for the coming election.)

More importantly, the writer is apparently led into error by the silly
assumption that political views in this country are exhaustively defined
by the Republican and Democrat positions, so that those who see
correctly that Bush is a war criminal must fail to see that Clinton was,
too.

In fact, both political parties, beholden as they are to big business,
are substantially to the right of the political opinions of Americans in
general.  As rich and poor diverge in America, the obsequy shown by both
parties to wealth and privilege only increases.

CARL ESTABROOK