[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Anti-"Chief" Graduation Activities!

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Fri May 5 21:40:09 CDT 2006

At 12:42 PM 5/5/2006, you wrote:

>Dear Friends,
>
>Every year the PRC distributes anti-"Chief" buttons and stickers to the
>graduating class, in order for anti-"Chief" graduates to voice their
>opposition to the racist symbol of the University of Illinois, "Chief
>Illiniwek."
>
>FOR THE GRADUATES
>
>Congratulations on your achievement!
>
>YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO WEAR A STICKER AT GRADUATION: According to the
>University's Commencement booklet, "jewelry, flowers, or emblems worn on
>the cap or gown are inappropriate." However, inappropriate doesn't mean
>it is prohibited. The 1969 case of Tinker v. Des Moines Independent
>Community School District (US Code 393, Section 503) ruled that the
>First Amendment protects symbolic speech, such as wearing buttons during
>graduation ceremonies.

When I graduated from dignified old Dartmouth College in 1971 - which was
still all male at the time, and whose team name was the Dartmouth Indians -
one of my friends wore full Native American regalia to the graduation, in
lieu of the traditional cap and gown, to protest the Dartmouth
Indian.  Another guy, who was advocating for coeducation, wore a dress.  It
was quite a circus.  :-)

To its credit, the Dartmouth Board of Trustees acceded to the voices for
change in the mid to late 70's.  They implemented coeducation in 1973, and
shortly thereafter got rid of the Indian as the Dartmouth symbol.  Many of
the older alumni screamed "Tradition!" and threatened to withhold further
financial support.  But the Trustees made their decisions and never looked
back.  I was proud of them, and still am proud of THAT tradition.

John Wason