[Peace-discuss] Re: Democrats and Israeli lobby for war

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun May 7 14:44:11 CDT 2006

I'm glad to hear that you would have voted against this extremely
dangerous bit of congressional fecklessness, David.  It's shocking that
  your vote would have put you in opposition to more than 90% of House
Democrats.

I said putative opponent because the Democrats haven't been putting up
any serious opposition to the Republicans and the administration,
especially on the war.  I'd be pleased to see that change.  On this as
on other matters, the official parties are well to the right of the
American population.  Their job, of course, is to blunt the public's
demands.

As a result of efforts of AWARE and other groups, citizens in Champaign
and Urbana will be able to vote in November on advisory referenda on
withdrawal from Iraq and the impeachment of the administration.  Neither
position is supported by the Democrat party: self-proclaimed liberals
(like Barack Obama) would vote "no" on both.

How would you vote on them?

Regards, Carl