[Peace-discuss] Re: Democrats and Israeli lobby for war

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Mon May 8 17:22:33 CDT 2006

>>On Friday, April 28, 2006, at 02:32 PM, C. G. Estabrook wrote:
>>
>>>[Naturally, our congressional representative, Tim Johnson, voted for
>>>this bit of war-mongering -- as did almost all the Democrats in the
>>>House.  (We should ask Johnson's putative opponent, David Gill, whether
>>>he would have voted for it -- or would he have joined the 15 Democrats
>>>and 6 Republicans who stood against it?) --CGE]
>>>
>>>    April 28, 2006
>>>    Steppingstone to War
>>>    House passes 'Iran Freedom Support Act'
>>>    by Justin Raimondo
>>>
>>>It is "a steppingstone to war," said Rep. Dennis Kucinich, during the
>>>debate over the so-called Iran Freedom Support Act, and if this vote is
>>>any measure of the degree of congressional opposition to the looming
>>>prospect of war with Tehran, then we have a lot to worry about.
>>>
>>>Only 21 members of the House stood up against the overwhelming
>>>bipartisan wave of support for the bill, which would impose economic
>>>sanctions on the Iranians ­ and openly proclaims the goal of effecting
>>>"regime change." Rep. Ron Paul, a Texas Republican, said the bill
>>>reminds him of a 1998 congressional resolution ­ the Iraq Liberation Act
>>>­ that paved the way for the Iraqi debacle. Yet most of the "antiwar"
>>>contingent in the House of Representatives caved and voted in favor,
>>>including Democrats John Conyers, Maxine Waters, Jack Murtha, Bernie
>>>Sanders, Barbara Lee, and Lynn Woolsey...

I never cease to marvel at the seeming INCONSISTENCY of many of our elected
representatives.  How on earth could Barbara Lee, for example, vote in
favor of this "Iran Freedom Support Act"?  Has she lost her mind since she
took her courageous stand immediately after 9/11?  Has she succumbed to
fear?  What happens to them?

John Wason