[Peace-discuss] HALLIBURTON SOLVES GLOBAL WARMING

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed May 10 20:24:34 CDT 2006

[From today's Democracy Now.  --CGE]

And the Yes Men have struck again. On Tuesday, a man claiming to be a
representative for the company Halliburton gave a presentation at the
"Catastrophic Loss" conference at the Ritz-Carlton in Amelia Island,
Florida. The conference included leaders from the insurance industry.
The phony spokesperson gave his name as Fred Wolf. He told
conference-goers Halliburton had invented the SurvivaBall -- a new
orb-like inflatable product to protect corporate managers from the
effects of global warming. Wolf said: “It's essentially a gated
community for one.” The hoax comes less than two years after a Yes Men
member appeared on the BBC claiming to be a spokesperson for Dow
Chemical. He said Dow was taking responsibility for the Bhopal chemical
disaster -- forcing the company to remind the world it did not take
responsibility for the disaster and that there was no compensation fund
set-up for the victims.