[Peace-discuss] Adams Billboard *Vote Yes to Impeach* a precise political statement

John W. jbw292002 at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 24 21:11:09 CDT 2006

At 07:50 PM 5/24/2006, C. G. Estabrook wrote:

>If they insist on censoring our message -- if they won't sell
>us the space -- I think we should take them to court.  A call
>to our legal advisor would be in order -- or see if we can
>find someone to sue them (altho' I admit that access to this
>particular medium will probably not make much headway against
>"private enterprise").
>
>But what they're willing to post is the Bush administration's
>position -- see
>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/22/AR2006052200115.html
>
>AWARE funds should not be spent for that!  --CGE

At the risk of wasting my time replying to this because I lack
"credibility" or something, here is what your legal advisor will tell
you:  A privately-owned newspaper is under no obligation to accept a paid
advertisement from any particular individual or interest group.  Radio and
TV are held to a SLIGHTLY higher standard than are newspapers, because they
utilize airwaves (frequencies) that are finite and are regulated by the
government.  (There's something called the Fairness Doctrine that requires
radio and TV stations to give political candidates equal time, as Carl
experienced, but that wouldn't apply to paid ads by special interest
groups.)  The idea is that if someone wants to propagate his/her ideas,
he/she can start his/her own newspaper.

I couldn't find any cases quickly that pertain specifically to billboards,
though I'm sure they're out there if someone cared to hunt for them.  But
I'm betting that legally, billboards are considered more like newspapers
than like TV or radio.  In any case, none of the media are required to
accept paid ads from anyone who wishes to purchase one.

A relevant case is Los Angeles v. Preferred Communications, Inc. (476 U.S.
488, 1986).  William Rehnquist, the author of the majority opinion, says,
"The power of a privately owned newspaper to advance its own political,
social, and economic views is bounded by only two factors: first, the
acceptance of a sufficient number of readers - and hence advertisers - to
assure financial success; and second, the journalistic integrity of its
editors and publishers.  A broadcast licensee has a large measure of
journalistic freedom but not as large as that exercised by a newspaper.  A
licensee must balance what it might prefer to do as a private entrepeneur
with what it is required to do as a 'public trustee'."   Later he says,
"...so long as a licensee meets its 'public trustee' obligation to provide
balanced coverage of issues and events, it has broad discretion to decide
how that obligation will be met."

As we know from the example of Fox News, even that minimal requirement to
provide "balanced coverage of issues and events" is not terribly well
enforced.  :-)

There's lots more, but I won't quote it as the case pertains primarily to a
cable TV company.  Suffice it to say that the Independent Media Center came
into existence as a consequence of just such jurisprudence as the case
cited above.

John Wason