[Peace-discuss] referendum roundup - for letter writers!

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 9 09:22:50 CST 2006

ANTIWAR INITIATIVE WINS IN ILLINOIS, WISCONSIN &
MASSACHUSETTS
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

"Bring Our Troops Home" Initiatives Sweep Wisconsin,
Illinois, Massachusetts

Contact:
•	Wisconsin: Steve Burns, (608) 250-9240 Wisconsin
Network for Peace & Justice
•	Illinois: Laurel Lambert Schmidt (708) 447-9577,
(708) 991-8175 (cell),Siobhan Kolar, (630) 270-8520
•	Massachusetts: Paul Shannon (617) 497-5273 or (617)
623-5288

Wisconsin, Illinois and Massachusetts "Bring Our
Troops Home" ballot initiatives are headed for a sweep
of every community in which they appeared.

In Wisconsin, final returns for Boscobel, Fox Point,
Lake Delton, Middlet on,South Milwaukee, Springdale
and Viroqua and Wauwatosa show all initiatives
passing, winning with more than 60% of the vote in
several communities.

As of 1:00 am Tuesday Night, with 98% of precincts
reporting, the City of Milwaukee voted 72% for
"orderly, rapid and comprehensive withdrawal" from
Iraq, and with 85% of Precincts reporting, Racine
voters approved their "Troops Home" initiative with a
61% "yes" vote.

Wisconsin's statewide totals gave a more than
two-to-one "yes" vote.

In Illinois, final returns for the state capitol,
Springfield, gave a 60% "yes" vote, while partial
returns as of 1:00 am showed all initiatives passing,
some with "yes" votes approaching 70%. Champaign
township, with 94% reporting, gave a 57% "yes" vote,
and Cunningham township, with 86% reporting, showed a
65% "yes" vote. In Cook County, with 49% reporting,
the initiative was winning with a 66% "yes" vote.
DuPage and Kane Counties, home of several of the
successful initiatives, were carried by George W. Bush
inthe 2004 election.

And, most remarkably, In Massachusetts, where 36
legislative districts voted on a resolution to "end
the war in Iraq immediately and bring all United
States military forces home", the Boston Globe
reported that, as of 2:00 am Eastern Time, all 36
districts had voted in favor of the initiative. The
districts encompassed 139 Massachusetts communities.

"I don't think the voters could make themselves any
clearer. The voters get it - they know that the best
thing for the American people and the Iraqi people is
for us to bring our troops home from their country.
Now it's time for our government to listen," said
Steve Burns, Program Coordinator for the Wisconsin
Network for Peace and Justice.

"I was blown away by the totals" said Laurel Lambert
Schmidt, an organizer of the initiatives in Berwyn and
Riverside townships. Partial returns showeda 71% "yes"
vote in Berwyn, and a 61% "yes" vote in Riverside.

"The antiwar majority has spoken!" said Siobhan Kolar,
an initiative organizer in Geneva Township, which
reported a 54% "yes" vote.

A full summary of "Troops Home" initiative language is
available online: http://www.wnpj.org/homenow Full
election returns will be posted there when they become
final.

Steve Burns
Wisconsin Network for Peace and Justice
122 State St. #402