[Peace-discuss] Paul Street's comments

Morton K. Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Sun Nov 12 23:30:03 CST 2006

Here's some of what he says about our Senator Obama:

…On Win Without Vision Night (last Tuesday), I caught a fleeting
Obama sound bite on ABC. The smiling, suspiciously overnight
superstar told the Disney-owned network that American voters were
expressing a welcome and “pragmatic” repudiation of “ideology” and a
desire for more “competence” and less “partisanship” and “anger” in
government and politics.  Here’s my long translation of that comment:
“If you support majority U.S. (and indeed world) opinion and want to
see U.S. troops out of Iraq now... and if you advocate the
dismantlement of Empire and the diversion of public resources from
militarism and corporate welfare to social justice and health at home
and abroad, then you are a silly and unrealistic ‘ideologue.’ Let’s
drop all our nasty partisan and ideological story lines and all just
get along, with existing social, racial, and imperial hierarchies
intact and, perhaps, with me in ostensible charge in about 26 months.
Bush’s murderous oil invasion of Iraq (which has butchered 700,000
Iraqi civilians) and his related successful efforts to further the
upward concentration of wealth (in what was already the
industrialized world’s most unequal nation) aren’t criminal (only
deranged and extremist “ideologues” say that). They’re just
incompetent and show what happens when people act in accord with
“ideology.”

Remember that the next time you see somebody robbing, murdering, and/
or raping in your neighborhood: the perpetrators are being
"incompetent" and are probably driven by “ideology.”     …

Read the rest of what he has to say at:

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=72&ItemID=11386

in an article entitled Victory without Vision.

--mkb