[Peace-discuss] LATE BREAKING UPDATE: Counter Recruiting at IHSA Football Championships

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 24 11:36:27 CST 2006

It turns out the Army National Guard has changed location this year. They've
moved away from the southwest corner of Kirby and First. Instead, they've moved
deeper into that parking lot, behind the large central tent in tent city (which
is a line of tents in that parking lot along Kirby between 1st and Locust).

So we'll just move with them. I've contacted University Police and notified them
that we'll be there handing out literature. I was told by Lieutenant Acree that
we are welcome to do that. I assured the Lieutenant that we will not block
people or otherwise disrupt the Army National Guard folks. There is a wide open
space in front of the Army National Guard presence (they have a trailer, the
same customized Humvee as in the past, a couple tables and a couple exercise
stations). I will also have many signs as well - casualty portraits and a few
that say "You can't be all you can be - if you're dead" - it's a well-done
poster by the AFSC with a military cemetary (Arlington?) in the background.

I'll be coordinating for today. Please feel free to call me anytime on my mobile
phone at 722-8470. Weather should be fantastic! Sunny and warm, high 60.

Hope you can join us.

Thanks