[Peace-discuss] Chomsky replies re Cambodia - related link, etc.

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 29 14:34:56 CST 2006

http://www.walrusmagazine.com/u/register/?ref=history-bombs-over-cambodia

  Reply from NC,

  Yes, I read the article, several articles in fact.  Some of what they report we already knew.  Kissinger's order "anything that flies against anything that moves" was reported in the NY Times, arousing no reaction that I could detect, though it's hard to find such an explicit authorization of genocide in the historical record.  But almost all of what they reveal is new: in particular, that the bombing of Cambodia was five times as high as previously revealed, making it the most heavily bombed country in history, and that the bombing (in their analysis) was the prime factor in creating the Khmer Rouge, increasing their numbers from a marginal force of 10,000 in 1969 to a military force of 200,000 by 1973 and doubtless more later (the bombing continued, though in a different manner, until the fall of Phnom Penh).

To my knowledge, none of this has been reported in the US.  Perhaps someone might undertake a search to check.  It should of course have been lead headlines, just as Kissinger's grotesque orders should have been.  It's also worth noting that Kiernan and Taylor compare the Nixon-Kissinger bombing of Cambodia to current plans to shift to heavy aerial bombardment in Iraq, making the point (also made about Indochina during the war) that under intense attacks on a civilian society only the most brutal are likely to survive -- giving the murderous aggressors a retrospective justification for their crimes, exactly as happened in Indochina, and often elsewhere through the sordid history of aggression and terror.

In brief, very significant, both what they reveal and their commentary, and also the fact that it is unknown here, where it matters, yet another illustration of the discipline of the intellectual classes.

  NC