[Peace-discuss] Peace Bazaar this Saturday

Joan Nelshoppen jnelshoppen at insightbb.com
Thu Nov 30 03:17:59 CST 2006

The Peace Bazaar is just two days away!  Everyone is invited to come
shopping in support of peace and social justice.

36th Annual Peace Bazaar
Saturday, December 2nd from 9 - 3
McKinley Presbyterian Church at Fifth and John in Champaign
(Please note this is a new location.)

Champaign-Urbana is host to a unique event that has been going on since
1971.  The Peace Bazaar is now in its 36th year of raising funds for peace
and social justice.  Everyone is invited!

The Peace Bazaar is an annual alternative gift fair where we sell donated
items to raise funds for peace and social justice causes.  We have thousands
and thousands of items for sale, completely filling the church basement.  We
have all the usual items:  great gifts and useful stuff, plus some very
unique merchandise.  We have works by several local artists and gift
certificates to local restaurants and businesses.  For a heads-up on some of
the more special items, go to
http://www.peacebazaar.org/sneak%20a%20peek.htm.

Several additional groups will be joining us including a group selling fair
trade coffee, Friendship with Cambodia, the Prairie Monk's Heartland
Pathways, Books to Prisoners, ONE Spirit, Project Lakota, a project
involving quilts made by AIDS survivors, Postcards for Peace, Habitat for
Humanity, and a Malawi clean water project.

Donations are still being accepted Thursday and Friday between 6:30 and 8:30
pm at the church basement (McKinley, 5th and John).  If you wish to donate
outside of these hours, bring your donations to the foundation (McKinley,
closer to 5th and Daniel) or to 412 W Oregon St in Urbana.  Information on
donations we are seeking is on the web site at
http://www.peacebazaar.org/donations.htm.

Last year the Peace Bazaar raised $5148 for peace and social justice groups.
We're trying to match that or go even higher this year.

All proceeds raised from the sale will go towards groups promoting peace and
social justice.  This year the local recipients will be CU Citizens for
Peace and Justice, Frances Nelson Health Center, and St. Jude's Catholic
Worker House.  National recipients include New Orleans Habitat for Humanity,
ONE Spirit youth program (Pine Ridge Reservation, S. Dakota), and Project
Lakota (housing program at Pine Ridge Reservation, S. Dakota).
International recipients include the work of Anna Baltzer (volunteer with
International Women's Peace Service), Islamic Relief, Madre, and Oxfam
(India and Pakistan earthquake help).  For descriptions of these groups and
their work, go to http://www.peacebazaar.org/recipients06.htm.

The Peace Bazaar is sponsored by the UC Friends Meeting, McKinley
Presbyterian Church and Foundation, the Peace and Justice Initiative at
First Mennonite Church, the Central Illinois Mosque and Islamic Center, UCC
Campus Ministry, Community United Church of Christ, Channing-Murray
Foundation, Unitarian Universalist Church Social Action Committee, Muslim
Women's Outreach group, Jewish Social Justice Network, St. Patrick's
Catholic Church Social Action Committee, the Church of St. Mary, and the
Episcopal Chapel of St. John the Divine.

Please join us!  There are treasures waiting to be found.  Plus, you'll be
supporting peace with your purchases.  The sale starts at 9 a.m.  Come early
for best selection.  The half-price sale starts at 1 p.m.

36th Annual Peace Bazaar
Saturday, December 2nd from 9 - 3
McKinley Presbyterian Church at Fifth and John in Champaign
(Please note this is a new location.)

Free parking is available in two nearby Uof I parking garages at John and
Sixth (enter from John St) and at Fifth and Daniel (enter from Fifth).
Metered parking is also available.

For more information, please visit our website at www.peacebazaar.org.  Hope
to see you there!

Please forward to those you feel might be interested.
Peace and blessings,
Joan