[Peace-discuss] Dems Meet on Iraq December 5: National Call-In December 4

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 07:45:05 CST 2006

from Kevin Martin, Peace Action:

Please mark your calendar for this critical opportunity to influence
the newly elected Congress, and to continue the mandate for peace that
swept the Democrats into power.

New House Majority Leader Nancy Pelosi has invited all Democratic
House members to discuss the war in Iraq at a closed door meeting on
Tuesday, December 5.  To set the tone for this meeting, we intend to
remind them of the mandate for peace that swept them into power in the
first place.  Please plan to join dozens of peace organizations and
thousands of fellow activists across the country during the National
Call-In Day on Iraq on Monday, December 4.

Despite the horrific escalation of violence in Iraq in recent weeks,
many in Congress and the administration sit and wait... for the
Baker-Hamilton Iraq Study Group report, for the Pentagon study group
report, the White House study group -- for anything they can hide
behind.

The time for waiting is over. On November 7, the people gave Congress
a mandate for peace.  Congress has the power to end the U.S.
occupation on Iraq and if it fails to do so, we will hold them
responsible for the continued violence in Iraq.  We need to let them
know that in no uncertain terms this coming Monday, December 4, during
the National Call-In Day on Iraq.

We will forward you more information this coming Monday to facilitate
your call, but the basic message will be simple: end the war, and get
U.S. troops out of Iraq. We will be encouraging Congress to use its
Constitutional power of the purse to do what President Bush will not
do, and end the war by cutting or otherwise restricting its funding.

There is much, much more to be done, of course, including promotion of
the international cooperation – particularly among nations in the
Middle East, such as Iran – that is desperately needed to stabilize
Iraq and end its descent into brutal violence and civil war.  So there
will be much more to come after December 4, but for the immediate
moment we want to send a single, clear, powerful message to the new
Congress – end the war in Iraq.

Thanks again for marking your calendars, and for joining us on this
critical National Call-In Day on Iraq, this coming Monday, December 4.

Sincerely,

Kevin M. Martin
Executive Director
Peace Action

P.S. - And while you have your calendars out, have you marked them yet
for January 27 and 29? Join Peace Action, United for Peace and
Justice, and thousands and thousands of Americans as we bring the
Mandate for Peace to Washington DC with a massive peace march on
Saturday, January 27 and Lobby Congress Day on January 29! Read more
about it here.

 Remember to call your representatives on December 4th!

Read more about Iraq and other pressing foreign policy issues on our
Peace Blog.
Join us at the Mandate for Peace march on Washington January 27th and
Lobby Congress Day on January 29th.

www.Peace-Action.org

--
Robert Naiman