[Peace-discuss] Letter in Chicago Tribune Magazine

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 3 13:27:37 CDT 2006

4. Letter to ed in Chicago Tribune Magazine

Posted by: "Carol Herzenberg" carol at herzenberg.net
Terrorism and torture

Published October 1, 2006

Ron Grossman's article on the trial of Muhammad Salah
("The case of the
globe-trotting grocer," Sept. 3), the Chicago-area
resident who is accused
of sending money to Hamas, does not refer to what
Salah suffered during 53
days of Israeli interrogation as torture, but the
descriptions that I have
read in other reports cause me to regard it as such.

The statements that Salah made under duress while in
Israeli custody are
the centerpiece of the government's case. Yet had
those statements been
taken in America, they would likely have been
disallowed in an American
courtroom.

At the request of prosecutors, the federal judge
closed the courtroom to
both the public and the press during testimony by two
Israeli intelligence
officers who had questioned Salah. I find it extremely
distressing that
the American judicial system went to such lengths to
protect interrogators
who may have been torturers instead of protecting an
American citizen who
may have been victimized by them. We should do all in
our power to see
that the judicial system acts in an open and just
manner.

CAROLINE HERZENBERG / Chicago