[Peace-discuss] Paul Street's address to US.

Morton K. Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Sat Oct 14 12:40:58 CDT 2006

For those who missed his talk here last month:

war Anti-Racism Effort (AWARE) in Champaign, Illinois on September
26, 2006

  Here we are, ten thousands miles away, fighting for the so-called
freedom of the Vietnamese when we have not put our own house in order

- Martin Luther King, Jr., 1968

THE REPAIR OF BEOKEN SOCIETIES BEGINS AT HOME

The topic I want to flesh out tonight around this theme that "the
repair of broken societies begins at home" is less than original both
in my own writing and more generally on the intellectual and
political culture of the American left going back to the 19th
century. I did a piece with the exact same title for Dissident Voice
(DV) in July of 2003. I wrote a similar article for the same journal
in June that same year.  The title of that article was "Failed States
at Home and Abroad."

Both essays had pretty much the same argument that Noam Chomsky would
make in the last chapter of his 2006 book Failed States.  My thesis
was that Americans looking around for a failed, broken, badly
governed and authoritarian sociopolitical order to fix and turn into
a democratic success need search no further than their own county.
They could start by taking an honest look in the national mirror.

The first DV article was sparked by an elite policy document I
happened to read in May of 2003.  The document was issued by the
prestigious Council on Foreign Relations on the eve of the U.S.
invasion of Iraq.  Bearing the interesting title "Iraq: the Day
After," this text contained a fascinating comment from a leading
policy thinker named James Dobbins.  At the time Dobbins was Director
of the Rand Corporation's Center for International Security and
Defense Policy.  He was a former special U.S. envoy during U.S.
interventions in Somalia, Haiti, Bosnia, Kosovo, and Afghanistan.

"The partisan debate," Dobbins proclaimed, "is over.  Administrations
of both [U.S. political] parties are clearly prepared to use American
military force to repair broken societies."  Broken societies,
Dobbins explained, give rise to terrorism and to events like the
jetliner attacks of September 11th, 2001 It is in our national
interest, Dobbins argued, to find and fix "broken societies" around
the world in places like Afghanistan, Iraq, and Sudan.

The second DV article - the one with "failed states" in the title -
was sparked by an article in the New York Times in June of 2003 -
June 9th to be exact.  The story, written by Times reporter Elizabeth
Becker, noted that a bipartisan federal "Commission on Weak States
and U.S. National Security" had issued a report recommending that the
U.S. do more to "improve societies" that are being badly governed by
"failed states." "Failed states," the report argued, are "breeding
grounds for terrorists" of the sort who perpetrated 9/11. By Becker's
account, following the report, "failed states" are "those that
generally cannot provide security for their citizens or their
territory, and that are corrupt and illegitimate in the eyes of their
civilians."

As we know, our policy and opinion leaders have a very good idea of
where the "broken societies" and "failed states" of the world would
do best to look for a positive role model.  The world's miserable
failures should look of course to the United States, the purported
epitome and agent of what that the Pentagon's calls "the single
sustainable model of national development."

As Bill Clinton's Secretary of States Madeline Albright once
proclaimed, the United States "stands taller and sees farther" than
all other nations. And as U.S. Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson (R-
Texas) explained in a 2002 speech supporting the granting of
unlimited war powers to George W. Bush, the U.S. is "The Beacon to
the World of the Way Life Should Be." We are the "City on a Hill," as
John Winthrop put it; we are "the watchtower on the walls of
freedom," in the words of John F. Kennedy.  We are "the greatest
nation in the world," as our politicians feels compelled to say over
and over again.  God has blessed and continues to bless America. So
look to us when you want to know hoot to fix your state and society.

A BROKEN SOCIETY AT HOME

Or maybe not. I find it remarkable to hear the U.S. so cavalierly,
routinely, and narcissistically described as the ultimate model and
agent of democratic Success when it has become the most grotesquely
unequal and wealth-top-heavy society in the industrialized world, the
world's unchallenged incarceration leader and the only industrialized
state NOT to make access to basic health care a core birthright. The
nation that "stands taller and sees farther" than others has become
something of an openly acknowledged corporate plutocracy, a dollar
democracy where politics, policy, information, culture, behavior and
the structure of daily life are routinely,  transparently and
relentlessly dominated by the selfish desires of the investor class.

Here were some basic facts of life in "The Beacon to the World of the
Way Life Should Be," from the time right before the planes hit the
towers and when the U.S. had just come off the longest continuous
economic expansion in its history:

* The richest ten percent owned more than 70 of the nation's wealth
and the richest 1 percent of families owned more than 40 percent of
that wealth.

* 11 million U.S. households were "food insecure," recurrently short
of enough to eat and 23 million Americans relied on Second Harvest
food banks to get by

* Forty-two million Americans lacked health insurance

* Americans had the longest working hours in the industrialized
world, having outpaced the exhausted Japanese during the 1980s -
something which helped make informed, active, and sustained civic
engagement next to impossible for untold millions of ex-citizens in
"the world's greatest democracy".

* Overwork was a factor in the nation's astonishing 60 percent
divorce rate.

* Nine corporations owned more than half all media (both print and
electronic), exercising a measure of concentrated private influence
over public information, imagery and consciousness that was without
precedent in world history.

* Black families' median net worth was one tenth of white families'
media net worth - ten black cents on the white dollar.

* There were 29,000 gun-related deaths in the U.S. each year.  Fifty-
eight percent were suicides and 38 percent were homicides.

* The U.S. had the highest death row population in the world and the
nation that proclaimed itself the homeland and headquarters of world
freedom housed 5 percent of the world's people but 25 percent of its
prisoners,

* On any given day, 30 percent of African-American adults were "under
correctional supervision" - either in prison or jail or on probation
or parole.

* One in five black American males possessed a prison record; one in
three possessed a felony record, and the sitting president of the
United States owed his presidency among other things to the lifetime
electoral disenfranchisement of predominantly black ex-felons in
Florida.

* Less than 1 percent of the population accounted for 80 percent of
all campaign contributions. The winners of the campaign finance
fundraising contest won 92 percent of the elections for the U.S.
house and 88 percent of the Senate races.

* Americans were so excited about their world-leading "democracy"
that they exhibited the lowest voter turnout in the "democratic" world.

When 9/11 happened and then when the war on Iraq was initiated, I was
sitting in an urban "civil rights" and social policy research office
in the middle of Chicago's South Side ghetto putting together 2000
census and a whole bunch of other data that encouraged me to develop
a skeptical perspective on our claims of unmatched national
greatness. I was regularly reviewing a seemingly endless series of
data sets reflecting the incredible price that people pay for empire
and inequality at the bottom of the nation's interrelated class and
race structures.

One of the many terrible findings that stuck with me was the
discovery that Illinois placed 20,000 more black males in prison than
it did in its public 4-year undergraduate college programs. Another
one I couldn't shake was more than a quarter of the children lived in
"deep poverty" - at less than half the federal poverty level - in 15
of the city's 77 officially designated Community Areas in 1999. All
but one of these 15 neighborhoods was located in predominantly black
stretches of Chicago's South and West Sides.

There were six very predominantly black neighborhoods where more than
40 percent of the children were deeply poor and one (Riverdale) where
more than half the children lived in deep poverty. This was before
the onset of recession in 2001, which pushed the number of black
children living in deep poverty in the United States over one
million?  Talk about a "broken society!"

In a recent issue of the New Yorker there's an interesting article by
David Remnick about Bill Clinton's career as an ex-president. At some
point in the article, Reminick quotes Bill Gates and Clinton talking
about how they hope to bring African children the "same opportunities
available to kids in the United States." It's a noble objective but I
want to ask them: the same opportunities as WHICH AMERICAN KIDS, Mr.
President and Mr. CEO? The ones in Lake Forest Illinois, where median
household income is $120,000 and the "public schools" spend more than
$20,000 per kid per year or the ones in the South Side neighborhood
of Riverdale, where median household income is $13,000, where the
official unemployment rate is 35 percent and where the "public"
schools spend $6 to 7,000 per year on the children.

To quote Jonathan Kozol: "These are extraordinary inequalities within
a metropolitan community that still lays claim to certain vestiges of
the humanitarian ideals associated with the age of civil rights and
the unforgotten dreams of Dr. Martin Luther King."

LOOKING FOR A FAILED STATE?

You want to see a failed state, unwilling and/or unable to protect
and provide security for its citizens and territory? You don't have
to go to Sudan or Iraq. Look at the Bush administration's failure to
act in basic sorts of ways on numerous indications that the 9/11
attacks were coming.

Look at the federal government's failure to act on all but a few of
its own  handpicked 9/11 Commission's basic recommendations on
preventing future predictable attacks even as it engages in an
incredibly provocative and nakedly imperialist war on the Middle East.

It fails to act even as it has long pursued a global-corporate
neoliberal agenda that encourages state failure by undermining the
positive social and democratic functions of government and thereby
helps drive Arab and other Muslims into fundamentalist organizations
that recruit untold thousands of future terrorists.

I'm guessing that many of you here saw the weekend' news reports
detailing the findings of a classified national U.S. intelligence
report which confirms what we've known for some time - that "the
American invasion and occupation of Iraq has helped spawn a new
generation of Islamic radicalism and that the overall terrorist
threat has grown since the September 11 attacks" thanks in large
measure to the deeply inciting state-terrorist war on Iraq.

We should add the U.S.-sponsored Israel attack on Lebanon to the list
of the factors that are inciting the Arab and Muslim populations and
worsening the terror threat.   People eager to discover state failure
could look at the federal government's failure to maintain levees and
protect wetlands prior to Katrina.

They can examine the state's miserable and humiliating response to
that hurricane's aftermath - a reflection not of government
incompetence per se but the ruling neoliberalism's hostility to all
government functions save war-making, the repression of dissent and
other measures designed to make the investor class wealthier.

We can investigate the government's failure to act against the
looming catastrophe of global warming that appears to have been part
of the Katrina story.

Pretty much all the terrible social terrible indicators I mentioned
above have gotten worse since 9/11 and the onset of an overdue
recession that started the previous year. Child poverty and deep
community poverty are both back on the rise. Black household net
worth has fallen to 7 cents on the white dollar.

According to the Current Population and American Community Surveys,
the black poverty rate in Chicago has gone from 29 percent in 2000 to
33 percent in 2004; it's back to the worst levels of the late Reagan
era. As the New York Times reported a few weeks back, the top fifth
of income recipients now gets more than half of the nation's income.
That's never happened before as far as we know from Labor Department
data to date.

The U.S. poverty rate has gone up for five years in a row.  That's
never happened as long as the federal government has collected
national poverty statistics. The top 1 percent now owns more than
half the nation's wealth - a positively Gilded Age statistic. The
bottom 20 percent has seen its paycheck fall by 20 percent in the
last five years even as Fortune 500 CEO salaries increased by more
than 50 percent to an average of more than $8 millions per year. It
would be a gross understatement, a misstatement actually, to say that
the U.S. government has merely failed to act in response to deepening
domestic poverty and inequality.

More than merely failing to move against homeland disparities, it has
actively exacerbated homeland disparities through a deadly mix of
Empire and Inequality. It has combined huge tax cuts for the already
super-wealthy few with massive increases in military spending to pay
for an illegal and unnecessary occupation that has killed more than a
100,000 Iraqi civilians.Beneath solemn claims of reverence for the
victims of 9/11, the in-power hard right has seized on that great
crime as a welcome opportunity.

Nine-eleven was for them a salutary occasion to deepen the
concentration of wealth and power, to further the repression of
dissent at home and to tighten their grip on super-strategic Middle
Eastern oil supplies while funneling billions of taxpayer dollars to
leading so-called "defense" corporations like Boeing, Raytheon and
the rest.One of the strangest parts of all this and it speaks volumes
about the real White House agenda is to see the Bush administration
advancing tax cuts for the rich while at the same obsessively
proclaiming that we are in a life or death war to save civilization
as we know it.

When the government needs to fight such a war, like some would argue
was the case during World War II, it doesn't cut taxes on those who
possess the greatest amount of wealth to help to pay for it.

Right here in the U.S., we are witnessing an especially perverse form
of state failure and related plutocratic success on a truly
remarkable scale.

THE MYTH OF THE POWERLESS STATE

It's very important, I think, that we not confuse this homeland state
failure with what I call the myth of the powerless state.  The
corporate-neoliberal ideology that has ruled America since at least
the early 1980s is commonly described by critics as anti-government.
There's some real deception there.  The reality is more complex.
Conventional ideological wisdom to the contrary, the public sector
today retains the resources and wherewithal to carry out certain key
objectives favored by the rich and powerful.

Its cup runs over when it comes to serving the needs of wealth,
racial disparity, corporate (top-down) globalization, and empire.
Its poverty and powerlessness come into play when we are talking
about health, education, welfare, rehabilitation, social uplift,
community development and ecological sustainability for the many and
especially when we are talking about services for the
disproportionately nonwhite poor.

Increasingly stripped of lost social and democratic functions
government is inadequate and cash-poor only when it comes to meeting
the needs of the nonaffluent majority and especially of the
disproportionately black, .urban, concentrated, and demonized poor.
Its relationship to the non-affluent and especially the black poor is
increasing weighted towards policing and repressive functions, which
have expanded dramatically in ways that are more than just
coincidentally related to the assault on social supports and programs.

To use the suggestive terminology of the late left sociologist Pierre
Bourdieu, the dominant homeland ideologies of neoliberalism  and
neoconservatism starve the "left" hand of the state and feed "the
right hand of the state." It's the social, nurturing, egalitarian,
democratic, and peaceful parts of the public sector that need to be
starved, not the regressive, disciplinary, repressive, militaristic,
and authoritarian parts of government.

THE TWILIGHT OF DEMOCRACY?

One of the scariest parts of all this is that this drift from the
left to the right of the state is actually opposed by the majority of
American citizens. In poll after poll, public survey researchers
report that Americans prefer spending on health, education, and
social welfare and rehabilitation and training and ecological
protection over war and militarism and incarceration and corporate
welfare and surveillance and weaponry and environmental rape.

The most chilling thing about recent American history to me is that
none of this seems to matter in terms of policy.  Noam Chomsky has
been talking lately about the nation's democracy deficit, a hidden
corollary of its fiscal deficit.

We have a radical disconnect between public opinion and public policy
that is starting to lead many serious investigators to wonder if the
American experiment with democracy is now finally and completely
exhausted.

Right now, in this election season, we see Bush saying that we are
fighting in Iraq in the name of an ideology which says that
government must "reflect the will of the people."  Then he says there
will be no troop reductions this year and there will be no timetable
for the withdrawal of troops from Iraq.  He and Rumsfeld and Cheney
run around denouncing supposed elite liberal war opponents for
advocating the deadly appeasement of "Islamofascist" terrorism. And
during all of this leading national polls report say that 61 percent
of Americans want troops reduced this year, that 60 percent oppose
the war, and that 57 percent want a timetable for withdrawal.

The species is in dire straits indeed if this is what we get from
world's "single sustainable model of national development."

"YOUR NATIONAL GREATNESS AND SWELLING VANITY"

Pointing out the contradiction between ugly domestic realities and
the idealistic discourse and proclaimed noble and democratic goals of
the nation and its foreign policy is an old activity on the American
left. "Who are you," we and other Americans have long told our power
elite and its many defenders,  "to speak of defending and/or
embodying and/or exporting democracy and freedom when you are
beneficiaries and/or agents of monumental inequality, repression, and
oppression right here at home, in the supposed homeland and
headquarters of liberty, justice, and compassionate human concern?"

This goes back a long way. I think of Frederick Douglass's marvelous
speech, titled "What to the Slave is the Fourth of July?." Douglass's
famous address was delivered four years after the United States had
claimed to bring democracy to Southwestern North America by
militarily annexing present day California, Utah, Arizona, Nevada,
and New Mexico.

The Mexican Cession, as it was called in the U.S., led among other
things to the reintroduction of slavery into the Southwest, where the
ownership of humans had been outlawed by the Mexican government.
With that as a background, listen to some of the exceptional prose
that the escaped slave and leading abolitionist Frederick Douglass
read aloud on July Fourth, 1852, five years before the United States
Supreme court would rule that Dred Scott blacks possessed no human
rights whatsoever by virtue of their race:

"What to the American slave is your Fourth of July?. A day that
reveals to him the gross injustice and cruelty to which he is the
constant victim.  To him, your celebration is a sham; your boasted
liberty an unholy alliance; your national greatness and swelling
vanity; your sounds of rejoicing are empty and heartless; your
denunciation of tyrants brass-fronted impudence; your shouts of
liberty and equality hollow mockery; your prayers and hymns, your
sermons and thanksgivings, with all your religious parade and
solemnity, are to him mere bombast, fraud, deception, impiety and
hypocrisy - a thin veil to cover up crimes which would disgrace a
nation of savages."

"Go where you may, search where you will, roam through all the
monarchies and despotisms of the Old World, travel through South
America, search out every abuse [Douglass said], and when you have
found the last, lay your facts by the side of the everyday practices
of this nation, and you will say with me, that, for revolting
barbarity and shameless hypocrisy, American reigns without a rival."

"You hurl your anathemas at the crowned headed tyrants Russia and
Austria [Douglass said]?.you invite to your shores fugitives of
oppression from abroad?.you shed tears over fallen Hungary and make
the sad story of here wrongs the theme of your poets, statesmen, and
orators?you are all on fire at the mention of liberty for France or
Ireland?.you can bare your bosom to the storm of British artillery to
throw off a three-penny tax on tea?.and yet [Douglass intoned] you
maintain a system as barbarous and dreadful as ever stained the
character of a nation [and] you are as cold as an iceberg to the
thought of liberty for the enslaved of America."

I think also of some of the letters black soldiers wrote to black
U.S. newspapers during the Spanish-American War, when the U.S, seized
control of the Philippines and Cuba, with President McCKinley
claiming that the U.S. would "educate the Filipinos, and uplift and
civilize and Christianize them and by God's grace do the very best we
could by them."

In one of the aforementioned letters, reproduced in Howard Zinn's
"People's History of the United States," the chaplain of a black
regiment asked, "is America any better than Spain?  Has she not
subjects in her very midst who are murdered daily without a trial of
judge or jury?  Has she not subjects in her own borders whose
children are half-fed half-clothed because their father's skin is
black?.?"

In the period when this letter appeared, numerous progressives,
laborites, and socialists like Jacob Riis, Algie Simons, Jack London
and Upton Sinclair observed that immigrant slums were filling with
masses of desperately poor and super-exploited proletarians.  United
States government was widely known to be under the iron heel of an
authoritarian corporate plutocracy that owned not only the means of
production and distribution but also the lion's share of the
politicians and policymakers.

There was more than enough social uplift an democracy promotion
required at home, these and other writers and activists noted.

I think of Randolph Bourne's comment during World War One. "Hearts
that had felt only ugly contempt for democratic strivings at home,"
Bourne bitterly observed, now "beat in tune for the struggle for
freedom abroad."

I think of the connection that the 1960s New Left made between "war
machines" built for supposed "democracy" defense and promotion abroad
and "ghetto scenes" reflecting race and class oppression and
democratic deficits at home.

And I think of Martin Luther King's comment in 1968.  "Here we are,"
King noted five days before his assassination, "ten thousands miles
away, fighting for the so-called freedom of the Vietnamese when we
have not put our own house in order. We force young black men and
young white men to fight and kill in brutal solidarity. Yet when they
come back home they can't hardly live on the same block together."

BEYOND THE CHARGE OF HYPOCRISY

Now, our critique of Empire doesn't and shouldn't stop with just
noting the domestic hypocrisy behind our leaders' global and imperial
claims. It never has. Like American progressives of the past, I'd
like to mention six other and related problems with our imperial
foreign policy.First, the Empire Project not only mocks it also
deepens inequality and repression at home.  While the benefits of
empire tend to go primarily to the wealthy few in the elite investor
class, the costs tends to be spread across the entire society and to
fall with special high impact on the working and lower classes, who
suffer most from enlistment and from the diversion of public dollars
from domestic social health to projects of global dominance.

It was darkly amusing last April to hear the American arch-terrorist
and National Intelligence chief John Negroponte and other
administration officials denounce Venezuela and Iran for --- get this
---  diverting money from domestic expenditures to aggressive foreign
policy goals. The United States has spent $318 billion on the
incredibly aggressive and richly provocative and illegal occupation
of Iraq even as millions of Americans have sunk deeper into poverty
and hopelessness.

As the National Priorities Project reports, the taxpayer money spent
by the United States on the war on Iraq between March 2003 and August
2006 would have paid for the providing of health insurance to 72
million Americans. It would have paid for the hiring of 5.5 million
school teachers or the granting of 61 million university scholarships
or the hiring of 5 millions port container safety inspectors.

Illinois' share of the war's costs would paid for the construction of
133,000 affordable housing units or the building of more than 1600
new elementary schools in the state or the provision of health
insurance to more than 2 million people.  For five years now, people
who highlight and criticize these "perverted national priorities" (as
King called them) have been painted out as dangerously divisive and
unpatriotic trouble-makers, objective allies of the evil terrorists
and their war on freedom.

Specific wars aside, its worth that the federal government pays 29
dollars on so-called defense for every four dollars it spends on
education, for every six dollars it spends in income security, for 3
dollars it spends on nutrition, and for every three cents it spends
on job training. That so-called defense budget pays for an
astonishing apparatus of what Pentagon insiders call "forward global
force projection" that involves the maintenance of over military
bases on foreign soil and which outspend the military budget of the
rest of the world.

Much of the opulent "defense" budget amounts to a spectacular public
subsidy to powerful high-tech corporations like Boeing and Raytheon,
who have enjoyed unusually high and distinctively high rates of
return ever since the beginning of the beginning of the so called war
on terror. "A nation that spend more on militarism than on programs
of social uplift," Martin Luther King said in 1967, "is approaching
spiritual death."

Second, war and militarism function as a method to distract ordinary
working people from thinking and acting in collective ways about
their shared interests and their need to fight together against the
homeland plutocracy.

Third, war and empire have always provided pretexts for the
repression of domestic dissent.  They continue to create
opportunities for concentrated power to portray social justice and
democracy activists as objective allies of "the enemy."

Fourth, it is inherently absurd to claim or think that democracy can
be exported from one state to another through the barrel of a gun.
Democratic change has to emerge from within.

Fifth, U.S. policymakers generally speak disingenuously when they say
they want meaningful democracy and freedom in the other nations they
are attacking, occupying or otherwise seeking to control.

"Democracy" promotion is cover talk for their deeper hidden agenda,
which is to enforce foreign state insertion within a broader U.S.
dominated world system wherein their primary role is to serve
American economic and political power.

As Chomsky has been saying for some time now, the notion that the
U.S. policy makers of either party want to see true national self
determination and democracy in oil-rich Iraq is a just a pure fairly
tale. U.S. policymakers are not about to physically abandon Iraq
unless they are just absolutely forced to leave.

Iraq and the Middle East's strategic oil reserves are just to great
for that and America's declining economic position in the world
system is too weak to expect policymakers of either dominant business
part to just say "okay, go ahead and cut whatever deals you want with
that oil." Sixth, our foreign policy, both "soft"/economic and "hard"/
military is profoundly damaging to foreign peoples and states. It is
more damaging to them than it is to even poor Americans in all
likelihood, which brings me to a point I want to make on the false
Republican dichotomy of "Stay the Course" versus "Cut and Run" in Iraq.

THE FALSE DICHOOTOMY OF "STAY THE COURSE" VERSUS "CUT AND RUN"

It will not do morally speaking simply to take a sort of left-wing
America First approach.  It is insufficient in my opinion just to
advocate that stop attacking others and pour the money saved from
militarism into domestic social programs.  We have to move resources
from the militaristic and plutocratic right hand of the state to the
social and democratic left hand of the state in our foreign policy as
well as in our domestic policy.

We should reject the false, all-or-nothing framing of the choices in
Iraq as either "stay the course" or "cut and run."  We should replace
that black and white duality with a more responsible tensions between
(1) "attack, dominate and destroy" versus (2) "acknowledge, heal, and
repair." We need to reject number 1 and embrace number 2.

We will have to pay significant reparations overseas geared to the
reconstruction of developing and other states we have viciously
assaulted for decades. While we should leave militarily, something
that would damp down the insurgency and perhaps force Iraqis to co-
exist peacefully, we do have a moral obligation to be a major part of
the solution through a change in the emphasis of our policy from
repressive force to reparations and uplift.

We have been badly damaging Iraqi society for a very long time,
including of course the deadly sanctions period.  We don't need to
cut and run.  We need to heal and repair. We need to contribute to
solutions over there in other ways than just leaving.

HOPEFUL SIGNS

Some of this material can get depressing so I want to conclude by
noting some positive and hopeful developments.  There are some
encouraging signs at home.  We've known for some time from serious
opinion surveys that when asked the majority of American people
support a number of policy choices that fit the progressive
perspective against Empire and Inequality.

A Chicago Council of Foreign Relations survey two years ago found
that Americans ranked support for education, health care, welfare and
Social Security far above so-called defense spending when it comes to
preferred government expenditure.

Nearly three fourths thought the U.S. should remove its troops from
Iraq if that's what the majority of Iraqis want (and by the way we
know from British intelligence that 83 percent of Iraqis wanted that
in 2005).

Seventy three percent of Americans thought the U.S. needed to work
more closely with other countries to effectively combat terrorism.
Nearly nine in ten supported working through the United Nations and
international law.  The percentage who thought the U.S. should put
more emphasis on diplomacy was twice the percentage that thought we
should put more on military approaches.  Less than 1 in 5 supported
Bush's preemptive war doctrine.

A majority supported general compliance with the rulings of the World
Court.  Three fourths supported giving the International court the
right to try American military and civilian officials for war crimes
and 71 percent supported the Kyoto accord on global warming.

Domestically, large majorities think that corporations have too much
power in the U.S. They support various measures to level the
political playing field, including significant campaign finance
reform.  They prefer treatment and rehabilitation over mass
incarceration, environmental protection, school-funding equity and a
whole list of decent, socially and ecologically healthy and balanced
policies and programs.

By the fall of last year, half of the population said the war on Iraq
was NOT morally justified whereas 75 percent had said it was
justified in March 2003.

According to a New York Times/CBS poll this month, we now have for
the first time a majority of the population rejecting the
administration's efforts to link the war on Iraq with the war on
terror.According to a CNN poll in August, 60 percent of the
population opposes the war on Iraq.  Sixty one percent believe that
some troops should be removed before the end of the year and 57
percent want a timetable for full withdrawal.

We now have a big majority of the population saying the country would
be better off if the current war party in power was removed from
office. The Bushcons have been unable to shake the image of failure
hung on them by Iraq and Katrina even with a mild economic expansion
and the surprising lack of a major terror attack on U.S. since 9/11.
The defeat of the Republicans in upcoming mid-term Congressional
elections and if that happens it could open the door to some very
serious investigations and proceedings against the Cheney-Rove cabal.

An antiwar electoral rebellion in Connecticut has put forward a
Democratic candidate for the U.S. Senate who might be a millionaire
but who feels compelled to make connections between the cost of the
war on Iraq and the under-funding of schools and social programs in
the U.S.

This is all good news. The population is beginning to wake up from
the big Orwellian post-9/11 nightmare. It's starting to shake off the
heavily propagated hatred of government per se and to see that the
particular ruling right-wing version of what passes for governance is
the problem, not government per se.

Whether it will translate into anything meaningful and progressive in
the realm of politics and policy remains to be seen.  It is one thing
to throw some of the hard right bums out of office; it's another
altogether to compel some new officeholders to receive and act on
progressive ideals. And as we all know the Democratic Party is far
from being a progressive change agent.  Its leaders share many of the
same basic neoliberal assumptions, not to mention funding
sources,that the Republicans hold so dear.

We need to be honest about the difference between opinion and
action.  It's one thing to privately express one's disapproval of the
current policies and regime at a dinner party or over the phone
talking to a pollster.  It is another and altogether more significant
thing to act publicly and collectively to punish the vicious actors
who exploited 9/11 for unsavory purposes and then to build the sort
of democratic and participatory society and polity where such vile
actors could never come back into power,

The administration and the current proto-fascistic and hyper-
plutocratuic party in power know all abut these differences. That's
how it can put Bush up there the last few weeks to say that America
is in Iraq to advance an ideology of democracy whereby "government
responds to the will of the people" while  conducting a foreign and
also a domestic policy that directly confounds the actual will of the
American people. It can do that because it doubts that the American
people are willing and/or able to act effectively on their beliefs in
a politically meaningful way.

It is counting on corporate media and other cultural and ideological
authorities to combine with the chaos and overwork and atomization of
overextended American daily life to keep people weak, anemic,
alienated and divided.  It is counting also on the power of private
money and negative campaigning and gerrymandered, winner-take-all
election procedures and possibly biased election machines. It is
counting on the Democratic Party to keep functioning as a frightened
and confused and divided and elite-dominated opposition party only in
name. And of course, it is counting on what it thinks is its ace in
the hole --- sheer unmitigated FEAR - to keep us all in line and
putting our hopes and dreams for democracy and justice on permanent
hold.

Whether we can and will break through these and other great barriers
to  democracy and overcome the great disconnect between American
popular desires and American imperial policy is one of the great
questions of the 21st century. Given the United States' remarkable
power in the world, it is a matter of no small significance for the
entire species. As Noam Chomsky noted in 1969, "the level of culture
that can be achieved in the United States is a life-and-death matter
for great masses of suffering humanity."

  Paul Street is a writer and independent social policy research in
Iowa City, IA.  His first book is Empire and Inequality: America and
the World Since 9/11 (Boulder, CO: Paradigm, 2004).  His next book is
Racial Oppression in the Global Metropolis: A Living Black Chicago
History (forthcoming in 2007)