[Peace-discuss] Racism reversal

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 18 10:39:40 CDT 2006

I agree with John that you might as well save your breath
if you are tempted to talk a racist out of racism. What is
being missed in this discussion, in my opinion, is the
effect of values. Fairness is a value that most of us hold
higher than any particular ideology or prejudice. It is perfectly
possible to shame a racist into treating black folks fairly,
even though he continues to believe that they are inferior.
The outrages committed against black folks by the justice
system are a good example. If they are well-publicized, they
will stop. Few people, even racists, can accept what routinely
happens. But we have to get the word out.

Bob