[Peace-discuss] Racism reversal

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 11:17:15 CDT 2006

At 10:39 AM 10/18/2006, Bob Illyes wrote:

>I agree with John that you might as well save your breath
>if you are tempted to talk a racist out of racism. What is
>being missed in this discussion, in my opinion, is the
>effect of values. Fairness is a value that most of us hold
>higher than any particular ideology or prejudice. It is perfectly
>possible to shame a racist into treating black folks fairly,
>even though he continues to believe that they are inferior.
>The outrages committed against black folks by the justice
>system are a good example. If they are well-publicized, they
>will stop. Few people, even racists, can accept what routinely
>happens. But we have to get the word out.

I assume you're speaking, Bob, of shaming public "servants" such as
prosecutors, police chiefs, etc.?  I'm willing to concede the possibility,
but here are a couple of caveats (speaking for simplicity's sake in the
context of black & white here):

1) It takes SOME white folks - e.g., you and me - to get to know SOME black
folks enough to (a) care about them and their issues, and (b) see
first-hand and truly understand that the racial disparities in the
administration of "justice" are REAL and ARBITRARY.  We could argue
extensively, I imagine, about community organizing tactics and so on, but I
maintain that ONLY a coalition of blacks and whites who are perceived as
"respectable" members of the community can be successful in achieving
meaningful and lasting social change in a racist society.

2) Absent an honest and ongoing dialogue between blacks and whites, the
Powers That Be, aided by the media, can simply resort to the same tired old
arguments about how blacks commit more crimes, require more police "service
calls", etc.  Absent that black-white dialogue at the grassroots level, the
Powers can talk about crime in isolation from issues of poverty and
discrimination, and who are we to contradict them?  What way would we
whites have of knowing that fairness was NOT being administered?

Thanks to Ricky for that wonderful story about C.P. Ellis quitting the KKK,
by the way.  It illustrated my point perfectly.  There's absolutely no
substitute for close and caring personal relationships with the "other".

John Wason