[Peace-discuss] Change

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 18 11:33:58 CDT 2006

I think we're in agreement, John.

I have problems with the notion of changing other people. There are
two difficulties with this: the implicit assumption that we are
superior to them (which undoes any possibility of good results),
and the fact the people, if they do change, change themselves due
to life experiences rather than being changed by argument.

My point is that it is not necessary to change people in order to
change society. If we change society, of course, people will eventually
change themselves if they experience the change as good. The
in-your-face "admit you are a racist and repent" rhetoric is, in
my opinion, putting the cart before the horse. It is ineffective and
arrogant, and ineffective because it is arrogant.

Bob