[Peace-discuss] Invitation to referendum benefit

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Oct 19 10:51:37 CDT 2006

[This is the invitation that we've sent to people in town, and of course
we hope to see people on these lists at the party.  --CGE]

My wife and I are inviting people to our house this Saturday evening
(October 21) at seven o'clock for a party and fund-raiser to publicize
the referenda on the November 7 ballot.

Owing to the efforts of the local anti-war group AWARE, residents of
Champaign and Urbana are among the very few people in the country who
will have a chance to vote this election day on whether the US should
withdraw from Iraq and whether the administration should be impeached.
That is, we will be able to vote yes or no on important questions of
policy, not just on candidates, who may not represent our views.

The problem is that people in C-U are not aware that these advisory
referenda, as they are called, are on the ballot.  AWARE wants to
publicize that fact in these last days before the election and needs
money to do so.  Donations in the low two figures are suggested and will
be gratefully accepted.  Yard signs and information regarding the
referenda will be available.

So come and have a drink and a light dessert with people from throughout
Champaign County Saturday evening at our residence, 5 Litchfield Lane,
Champaign.  (Litchfield Lane is a one-block street, east of Prospect
one-half mile south of Kirby.)

An RSVP would be appreciated -- to this email address or 359.9466.

--Carl and Leigh Estabrook